Technology Transfer Center
The Alcorn State University Extension/Research Farm & Technology Transfer Center was established in the Spring of 1995 with forty-five (45) acres of land leased from North Bolivar County Development Corporation. The Center is proud to be the first off-campus agricultural educational outreach center in Alcorn state University Extension Program’ history devoted to Extension and Research demonstrations. The Extension/Research Farm & Technology Transfer Center is located in Mound Bayou (Bolivar County), Mississippi, and is a low-income rural area the heart of the Mississippi Delta.
This area is where traditional agriculture and off-farm employment do not present a solution to the poverty of many families attempting to make a living from the operation of small family farms. Furthermore, Alcorn State University-Extension Program (ASUEP) has placed special emphasis on the production of sweet potatoes in the area. Hence, research and demonstration previously geared towards sweet potato production and marketing are conducted at the center with participation with scientists from Alcorn State University, Mississippi State University, USDA/ARS research station at Stoneville, Mississippi and local farmers.
Additionally, the outreach center has expanded its focus to emphasize a variety of viable alternative agriculture enterprise solutions using crop rotation demonstration of various types of horticultural crops as well ornamental products.
The center’s purpose is to educate farmers on sustainable horticulture crops emphasizing:
• Soil and crop management, emphasizing cultural operations and efficiency of fertilizer use
• Cropping systems for crop intensification and for farm management
• Pest control and management
• Improved cultivars adapted to the specific environment of farm and farmers
• Value added processing, Post harvest handling and marketing strategies
Sustainable Horticulture Production System Planned Program
The planned program goals will be achieved through:
• Research and demonstrations efforts
• Spring/Fall field days
• Implementation of Train the Trainer education programs for farmers
• Implementation of workshops and seminars for farmers
• One-on- one Technical Assistance
Dr. Franklin Chukwuma - Project Director/Specialist Horticulture firstname.lastname@example.org
Rockiell Woods - Regional Coordinator email@example.com
John Coleman – Area Educator firstname.lastname@example.org
Candrese Jones - Secretary email@example.com
294 Grainger-Dorsey Road
Mound Bayou, MS 38762