The Academy for Child Development Mentor Teachers
The Alcorn State University Department of Human Sciences proudly presents The Academy for Child Development Mentor Teachers!!! This program is sponsored the Human Sciences Auxiliary Council in conjunction with the Peppercorn Foundation and is looking for exemplary teachers in Southwest Mississippi who care for and educate young children from birth to Kindergarten.
Click here to download the Application for Academy for Child Development Mentor Teachers
Individuals wishing to become a member of the Academy for Child Development Mentor Nomination packet must complete a portfolio that includes:
- Three Parent Letters: that say explicitly why the nominee is an exemplary child development teacher. What the nominee does that supports child development and early learning. Describe the manner in which the teacher engages parents in their child’s early learning.
- Three Colleague Letters: that says explicitly why the nominee is an exemplary child development teacher. Explain how he or she meets the seven selection criteria for selection: (1) dedication, (2) innovation, (3) leadership, (4) respect for children and families, (5) commitment to professional growth; (6) educational attainment; and (7) cultural and social advocacy.
- Center Director or Principal Letter: This should be a letter that describes how the nominee meets the seven selection criteria and describes the nominee as an employee.
- A unit lesson plan: consists of a minimum of one week of plans related to a specific topic. The unit lesson plan gives evidence of organization, explains and indicates the relationship to educational objectives, and outcomes. The unit lesson plan briefly choreographs what will take place in the learning environment as well as the rational/goals for the lessons, teaching method, props needed, sample questions, and other information dealing with the lesson;
- Teaching Philosophy: A nominee is required to write a short statement about his or her teaching philosophy. The paper should be two typed double-spaced pages. This gives the committee insights into his or her teaching goals.
- Nominator’s Essay: A nominator should submit no more than two typed, double space pages that explains how your nominee demonstrates his or her adherence to the seven Department of Human Sciences Selection Criteria: 1) dedication, 2) innovation, 3) leadership, 4) respect for children and families, 5) commitment to professional growth, 6) educational attainment, and (7) cultural and social advocacy.
_____ Application for Nomination
_____ Three Parent Letters
_____ Three Colleague Letters
_____ Center Director or Principal Letter
_____ Unit Lesson Plan
_____ Teaching Philosophy
*Incomplete packets will not be considered for nomination