Policies and Procedures for Admission to Teacher Education
All students desiring to enter a professional teacher education program at Alcorn State University must take and pass the Academic Skills Assessments (PRAXIS I) of the Educational Testing Service Praxis series assessments and make formal application to be accepted into the teacher education program. Additionally, the student must have completed 44 core semester hours with a cumulative GPA of 2.50.
The registration form for the PRAXIS I must be initiated in the Counseling and Testing Center and an application for admission into teacher education must be submitted to the Teacher Education Office before the applicable deadlines. The application must be accompanied by letters of recommendation from the student's advisor and departmental chairperson and a current transcript. The PRAXIS I will be administered by the Counseling and Testing Office and results sent to the Teacher Education Office upon request.
The Teacher Education Committee will take formal action on applications upon receiving evidence that the student has met the application deadlines and criteria for admission.
An application for admission should be filed no later than the fourth week of the semester in which the student will have earned at least 42 hours at Alcorn State University. Full admission will be granted to those applicants meeting the following standards:
- The applicant must successfully pass PRAXIS I (Reading, Writing, and Math)
- The applicant has earned a cumulative grade point average of 2.50 on 44 semester hours of core courses.
- The applicant has earned no grade of less than "C" in EN 111, EN 112, SA 223, and PH 132.
- The applicant has passed the English Proficiency Examination.
- The applicant has been recommended by two faculty members.
Transfer students from another institution who have earned less than 45 hours at that institution must meet the standards set for regular students. Transfer students who have earned 45 or more core hours at another institution and who make application to Teacher Education upon admission to Alcorn State University may be admitted provided that they have passed the PRAXIS I (Reading, Writing, and Math).
Students who present evidence of admission to and in good standing in an NCATE approved Teacher Education Program at another institution may be granted admission to Teacher Education at Alcorn State University.
Students who do not make the required score(s) may retake the appropriate test(s). Students may not enroll in any of the following professional education courses until the required score(s) is/are made.
- Secondary Majors: ED 498; PH 336; ED 395.
- MU 401 (Music majors only)
- Student Teaching; ED 468; AN 437; HE 456; IE 428
- Elementary Education Majors: ED 302; ED 458, ED 452, ED 314, PH 336.
- Special Education Majors: PH 326; ED 458; ED 302, ED 314, PH 336.
- Psychology/Sociology Majors: ED 498, PH 336, ED 395
Students enrolled in Teacher Education who have failed to maintain a cumulative average of 2.50 will be placed on probation for one semester. If at the end of the probationary semester the student's cumulative average is still below 2.50, the student will be dropped from the Teacher Education Program. During the probationary semester the student may not enroll in ED 458, ED 468, HE 456, IE 428 and AN 437 Directed Teaching or in any other professional education courses except those previously completed with a grade of less than "C".