Admission to Student Teaching
Student teaching is an integral part of the teacher education program at Alcorn State University and is the culmination of the teacher preparation experiences at the University. All students pursuing a degree leading to teacher certification must enroll for student teaching experiences during their final semester at Alcorn State University.
Participation in these experiences is limited to those students who apply and are admitted to student teaching. The student must submit application to the Office of Admissions and Student Advisement no later than July 15, for fall, Oct. 15, for spring. Applicants for admission to student teaching are screened for eligibility on the basis of the following criteria:
- Full admission to teacher education (students on probation within teacher education may not enroll in Student Teaching)
- Recommendation of department chairperson
- Completion of all general education requirements
- Completion of at least one semester residence at Alcorn State University
- An earned grade point average of 2.50 on all work (transfer students must have a 2.50 average on all work and on all work earned at Alcorn State University)
- Completion of at least 95% of the major field requirements with a GPA of 2.50 or above (see departmental offerings for specific courses which must be completed prior to student teaching)
- Completion of all applicable professional education requirements with no grade of less than "C"
- Successful passing of PRAXIS II (Principles of Learning and Teaching, and the Specialty Area).