The primary objectives of the School of Education and Psychology are:
- to identify and attract young men and women of intellectual and moral integrity,
- to promote content competency and sound scholarship through a series of specialized courses and experiences that will prepare an Alcorn proficient and effective communiversity teacher (APECT);
- to develop in prospective teachers a broad understanding of the learner and the teaching-learning process,
- to guide and supervise teacher candidates through a series of professional laboratory experiences culminating with directed teaching,
- to provide the teacher education student and non-teaching student with formal and informal educational experiences that will enable them to develop a meaningful philosophy of education, and
- to ensure that the teacher education candidate exits the professional education unit as Alcorn's proficient and effective communiversity teacher.