congratulations and welcome new students!
Summer Orientation, Advising, and Registration (SOAR 2016)
Welcome! The First and Second Year Experience Program congratulates you on your decision to attend Alcorn State University (ASU)! We hope you have a wonderful ASU Experience full of great memories. We know that transitioning to college can be both exciting and challenging. There are still some big decisions to be made and the First and Second Year Experience Office would like to guide you through the process.
To make this significant transition a little bit easier, Alcorn State University has a Summer Orientation Program where new and transfer students can meet other classmates, learn about campus life, attend workshops, register for fall semester classes and talk with faculty and staff. Orientation is a great time to talk with current students, ask questions, and get a sneak peek of what to expect at ASU before the semester starts.
Parents are also encouraged to attend Summer Orientation. While students are engaged, family members will also be engaged in orientation sessions. We realize as parents that you will have concerns from time to time, so we give you information and resources so you can assist your son or daughter along their journey.
During the Summer Orientation Experience, students will:
- Have meaningful interactions with faculty, staff, and peers.
- Become knowledgeable of campus resources and services that support academic and personal development.
- Build an educational plan for courses. Students will complete their fall semesters class schedule during orientation if they have not already done so.
You are cordially invited to join us at Alcorn State University for Summer Orientation, Advising, and Registration (SOAR). We look forward to seeing you in one of the sessions this summer. The day will officially begin with check-in at 7:30 a.m. – 8:30 a.m. in the James L. Bolden Campus Union Multi-Purpose Room. The program will begin promptly at 8:30 a.m. in the James L. Bolden Campus Union Ballroom.
SOAR 2016 Dates:
Wednesday, June 8, 2016
Freshmen and Transfer Students Simultaneously
Saturday, June 18, 2016
SOAR is a one-day event.
8:30 a.m. - 4:00 p.m.
The First and Second Year Experience Staff/FYE Peer Orientation Leaders are anxiously awaiting your arrival!
NOTE: Please click on the link below to register for SOAR. Once your form has been successfully submitted, you should receive a Thank you for submitting confirmation.
- Student must be admitted to the university. Office of Admissions and Recruiting Contact Number: 1.800.222.6790 or email firstname.lastname@example.org for all questions regarding admission to the university.
- Register online at www.alcorn.edu/FYE as soon as possible to have your Fall 2016 Class Schedule completed (12 hours minimum if you are going to be enrolled full-time).
- Make sure you have completed your 2016-2017 Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) www.fafsa.gov and the 2016-2017 ASU Financial Aid Application online at www.alcorn.edu, (admissions, financial aid, forms). Financial Aid Contact Number: 601.877.6190 or email ASUFinAid@alcorn.edu.
Note: Please accept your Financial Aid Award and pay your fees prior to coming to SOAR to avoid waiting in long lines. Please use the Step-By-Step Registration Tutorial online at www.alcorn.edu to assist you.
- Make sure you have completed your Housing Application online if you will be living on campus. Housing Contact Number: 601.877.6478 or email@example.com. To apply for housing all new students must complete the following:
- Admission to University
- Pay$125.00 Nonrefundable Housing Application Fee at Bursar's Office. Bursar's Contact Numbers: 601.877.6388 / 601.877.2378 or (www.alcorn.edu/bursar).
- Activate Your Email/Blackboard Account (https://selfserve.alcorn.edu).
Center for Information Technology Services (CITS) Contact Number: 601.877.6182
- Click on the Personal Information tab or link
- Select "Activate your Email/Blackboard Account"
- Read and Accept the Appropriate Use Policy
- Choose a password
- After completion of all of the steps above, use log in credentials to access housing application.
- Again if you have a completed class schedule, please use the Step-By-Step Registration Tutorial online at www.alcorn.edu. It outlines the steps to accepting your financial aid and paying your fees. It's as easy as 1-2-3!
- If you complete registration prior to coming to orientation, please bring your confirmation letter verifying that you have completed registration. You will need proof of completed registration for clearance to check into your assigned residence hall.
Full registration includes selection of classes and payment of fees by validation of financial aid or processing of other forms of payment (cash, check, or credit card).
- All students must complete the process in order to be fully registered. After you have completed all of the steps above, the final step is to take your Alcorn State University Gold Card Picture when you arrive on campus. Please bring a Valid Picture ID with you. You will need it to take your ASU Gold Card Picture.
Complete Registration Before Check-In
Students are required to complete registration, including payment of fees, BEFORE checking into residence halls in the fall.
Click here for Financial Aid Helpful Tips!
Cost of Orientation
A $100 orientation fee is charged to all first-year students to cover the cost of fall orientation activities. It will be included in your fall tuition bill (Note: You are registering early for the Fall 2016 Semester).
Still Have Questions?
Can’t find what you’re looking for? Submit a question by email to firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com or call 601.877.6226 or 601.877.3954.