Frequently Asked Questions
What is the Money Network® Enabled campus card?
The Gold Card has all the on-campus functionality you are used to plus the added convenience of having a powerful prepaid Account on the same card. You can access the Account with your card or online, and it is accepted everywhere Discover® cards are accepted. Keep in mind this is NOT A CREDIT CARD. Your funds are FDIC insured and you can access your money through ATMs and checks.
How do I sign up for a Money Network® Enabled campus card?
ASU will provide information on how to sign up on the website. You can also stop by the Gold Card Office. You'll have to complete an authorization form before your University can deliver your financial aid credit balance electronically to you.
Do I have to pay a sign-up fee to get a Card?
No. It is a free benefit offered by your University.
Use a Money Network™ Check
Money Network™ Checks can be used to pay bills, such as rent and utilities. You can also write a Check to yourself and cash it for free at participating locations to access the money available in your Account. Money Network™ Checks must be activated before they can be used. The Checks include more detailed information and instructions.
- Call Customer Service to request more Checks at no additional cost.
- Check cashing locations, such as participating Walmart™ Stores, can be found by using the Money Network® Locator tool online or by calling Customer Service
Do I get checks with my Money Network® Enabled campus card?
Yes. Money Network™ Checks can be used to pay bills, such as rent and utilities. You can also write a check to yourself and cash it for free at participating locations to access the money available in your Account. Money Network checks must be activated before they can be used. The checks include more detailed information and instructions.
- Call Customer Service to request more checks at no additional cost.
- Check cashing locations, such as participating Walmart™ stores, can be found by using the Money Network® Locator tool online or by calling Customer Service.
Is there a limit for the Money Network™ Check?
Yes, you can write a Money Network™ Check for up to $9,999.99 per check and per day.
Will Walmart™ cash my Money Network™ Check?
Yes, most Walmart™ locations will cash your Money Network™ Check for up to $5,000 per check and per day. Please check with your local Walmart™, as some locations may have some restrictions or different policies.
Do I have to write the Money Network™ Check for the full amount of my balance in order to use it?
No, you don't have to write the check for the full amount of your balance, only for the amount you need.
Keep Your Card and PIN Secure
Your PIN keeps your Account and the money in it secure. You should not give your PIN to anyone for any reason. If you can’t remember your PIN, call Customer Service and tell the Representative that you need to create a new one.
Keep Track of Your Account Balance in Three Easy ways.
- Via email or text* message.
Visit us online or call Customer Service to sign up for automatic daily or weekly balance updates sent via email or directly to your mobile via text message.
Login to your Account online.
Listen to your balance by calling Customer Service at 1.800.822.4283.
*Standard rates or other charges for receiving text messages may apply.
Reload Your Account*
In addition to having your student funds disbursement go straight to your Account, you can add money to your Account in the following ways:
- Add funds directly to your Account (free*). Different types of payments can be loaded directly onto your Account, including money from one or more jobs, tax refunds, child support and government benefits. Go online or call Customer Service to learn more.
- Have family or friends add money to your Account. Anyone can send money from their bank account directly to your Money Network® Account. Log in to your Account online to learn more.
- Through participating merchants or at a MoneyGram® or Western Union® agent location near you. To find a location, visit us online or call Customer Service.
NOTE: Reload fees and limits for this option may vary by merchant. See Fee Schedule, Transaction Limit Schedule and Terms and Conditions for more information. *This feature requires a one-time verification of your identity.
Get Cash at an ATM
Swipe or insert your Card:
- Enter your PIN.
- Select WITHDRAWAL from CHECKING.
- Enter the dollar amount you want to withdraw.
- Take your cash and your receipt.
HELPFUL TIP! An additional fee or surcharge may be applied by an Out-of-Network ATM owner or operator. To avoid ATM withdrawal and surcharge fees, use an In-Network ATM. Visit us online to find one near you. See Transaction Limit and Fee Schedule.
Manage Your Account Online or Over the Phone
Access your Account information at any time, free of charge, by visiting us online or by calling Customer Service. All you need is the number on the front of your Card and your PIN to log in to:
- Set up alerts online to receive your Account balance daily or once a week via e-mail or text message.
- Hear or view your Account balance and transaction activity.
- Change your PIN.
- Request a statement. * *
- Transfer funds from your Account to a personal bank account.
- Request a Secondary Card for a family member or dependent. **+
- Send funds to a Secondary Card. **+
* Your cellular phone carrier's standard rates or other charges for receiving text messages may apply.
** Fees may apply. See Fee Schedule.
Transfer Money to a Personal Bank Account
Before you can initiate a transfer, you will need to:
- Obtain the BANK ROUTING NUMBER and BANK ACCOUNT NUMBER from a personal check tied to the bank account that will receive the funds.
- Find out if the bank account is a CHECKING or SAVINGS account.
Once you have the required information:
- Go online or call Customer Service and access your Account.
- Select the option to transfer funds to a bank account and follow the instructions.
NOTE: Transfers initiated on a banking business day prior to 5:00 PM CST will be available at the designated bank account on the next business day. Transfers completed after 5:00 PM CST or on weekends and holidays will be available at the designated bank account on the second business day.
Do I get a new Card each time I get a new student aid disbursement?
No, your funds are deposited into your Account each time a disbursement occurs. You can use your existing Card to access the money in your Account at any time.
What if I don't spend all the money that was deposited into my Account?
Your money will remain in your Account until you spend, transfer or withdraw it. A monthly fee may apply if your Card does not register any activity for a specified period of time (See Fee Schedule for more information)
I don't want to pay any fees to withdraw cash; what can I do?
You can withdraw your money using one or a combination of the free services and transactions listed on your Fee Schedule. For instance, you can withdraw cash from the Money Network ATM on campus, through any Allpoint ATM, or by getting cash-back at participating merchants.
Is there an ATM withdrawal limit?
Yes. For security reasons, you can only withdraw up to $500 per transaction and per day.
Does my University know where I spend my money?
No. Your University does not have access to any of your Account information, including purchases and other transactions.
What happens if I need to return a purchase?
Each merchant location has its own return policy and will handle the return in the same manner as any other Discover® transaction. You may receive a credit to your Card, a cash refund or a store credit. It may take up to one week for a credit to appear.
- Free account with no minimum or monthly fees.
- The account can be reloaded by the school, friends, family ̶ even your employer.
- Free and convenient ATM withdrawals at over 43,000 Allpoint Network ATMs and participating on-campus ATMs.
- Can be used everywhere Discover® cards are accepted.
- Free Money Network™ Checks that can be cashed for free at Walmart™ locations.
- Funds are FDIC insured.
The Gold Card
Your Money Network®Account requires no minimum balance or monthly service fee, and all funds are FDIC insured. In addition to the security, the Account also offers you a convenient way to manage your money with online access and bill payment options. Free account with no minimum balance.
- No overdraft fees.
- No PIN debit fees.
- No reload fees.
- Delivers fast and secure access to financial aid credit balances. You don't have to worry about losing a check.
- You don't have to wait in line to get your financial aid balance.
- Provides a practical alternative to a checking account.
NOTE: 1 of 12 ATMs in America is an Allpoint Surcharge-Free ATM.
How to become a ASU Goldcard Merchant?
Contact or visit the Goldcard Office on the 1st Floor of the Walter Washington Administration building or call 601-877-6150 and request a Goldcard Overview Letter and Application.
How are merchants informed of the application status?
The University will notify the merchant within ten (10) business days from the date the
application is received in the Goldcard Office.
Are interested merchants guaranteed acceptance into Goldcard Merchant Program?
No. Interested merchants are welcome to apply; however, it does not guarantee acceptance into GoldcardMerchant Program.
How do merchants receive fund settlements from Goldcard transactions, and how often?
Through the newly adopted Off-Campus Advantage network, merchants receive electronic
fund settlements daily, less commission and processing fees.
How are merchants selected to accept the ASU Goldcard?
In most cases, establishments are considered on an “as needed” and “desired basis” for any
particular goods and services offered by merchant.
When are new merchants accepted into the Goldcard Program?
There is not a particular period in which new merchants are accepted into the Goldcard Program. Interested merchants are welcome to apply at anytime. Applications are reviewed upon receipt and based on that review, a correspondence is mailed to the interested merchant.
I would like to recommend a merchant to the ASU Goldcard?
The Goldcard Office welcomes any comments, suggestions, and recommendations for new merchants.
I would like to activate my card account and deposit funds?
Individuals can deposit funds into their Goldcard account by visiting the Office of Business Affairs on the 2nd Floor of Walter Washington Administration building at the cashier’s window.
Where should I go to obtain a summary of my account balance, transactions, etc?
To ensure the privacy and safety of card account information, account balances are not given over the telephone. Goldcard Office which is located in the Walter Washington Administration building on the 1st floor or you may go to any location that accepts the ASU GoldCard.
Can I deposit funds into my Goldcard account online?
Not at this time
Who is responsible for charges not authorized by the cardholder?
The cardholder is responsible for all charges unless the cardholder can provide documented evidence that the card has been reported stolen or missed at time of the transactions. It is the sole responsibility of the cardholder to ensure their ASU Goldcard is secured at all times. In addition, it is the sole responsibility of the cardholder to report suspicious card activity to Campus Police immediately at 601-877-3000.
How to care for the ASU Identification/Goldcard?
Protect card from physical abuse.
Carry Goldcard in a protective cover such as a wallet.
Do not use Goldcard as a tool or punch holes in it.
Do not give Goldcard to someone else to use.
Do not try to alter the Goldcard. A fine and judicial charge may apply.
Do not place Goldcard on stereos, microwaves or next to other credit cards.
Avoid running Goldcard through a washer or dryer.
Lost Goldcard should be reported to the ID Center, Monday-Friday from 8am -5pm and/or to Campus Police, Monday-Friday from 8am to 5pm or by calling 601-877-3000.
How do I request for a gold card refund at the end of the semester?
Fill in the Gold Card Refund Request form and submit it to the Gold Card Office.
How can I sign up for a Direct Deposit of my gold card refund?
Direct Deposit Form