STUDENT AFFAIRS MISSION
The Division of Student Affairs is an integral part of our students' educational process and offers programs and services that assist students in achieving their potential at Alcorn State University. As administrators, educators, advisors and student advocates, we strive to provide an environment that holistically promotes a diverse student population, personal growth, leadership development, social responsibility, student empowerment and student engagement activities. The Division of Student Affairs:
- Strives to build an environment that supports diversity through sensitivity, advocacy, leadership and education through a wide range of educational opportunities, a greater appreciation and understanding of diversity and preparation to assume leadership roles in the community.
- Fosters students’ academic and intellectual development and creates a climate that reinforces learning in all aspects of student life.
- Creates services, programs, and opportunities to assist students with their personal and professional development.
- Provides advice regarding career options and helps prepare and guide students in reaching their career goals.
- Assists all students in successfully making the transition from student status to post-graduate training and committed institutional alumni.
- Responds to the issues, ideas and needs of all constituencies, internal and external, by providing support and services to students, faculty, staff, alumni and the community.
STUDENT AFFAIRS GOALS
Goal 1: Provide Quality Service
Strive for excellence in the quality and delivery of programs and services by providing convenient, personal service to our constituents, enhancing resources, integrating information technology, and promoting student development through strengthening the development of interpersonal, leadership, communication, and personal relations skills that enhance and complement the academic performance of students and the achievement of career aspirations.
Goal 2: Enhance Overall Student-Centered Campus Environment
Develop, promote, and maintain a campus environment that contributes to the advancement of learning and enriches and protects the intellectual, emotional, and physical health and well-being of students. Present co-curricular activities for students that complement the formal academic curriculum and provide opportunities for productive involvement in cultural, social, recreational and employment related activities that promote preparation of students for leadership roles within a competitive global community.
Goal 3: Facilitate Enrollment Management
Lead campus efforts to achieve and maintain the optimum recruitment, retention, and graduation rates of students by implementing activities that assist in facilitating increased student satisfaction.
Goal 4: Promote Diversity Leadership
Actively promote campus diversity efforts, seek to recognize, celebrate, and integrate diversity within the campus culture. Commit to the recruitment and retention of a diverse student population. Attract and enroll students of the highest academic capability who are representative of a diverse student population.