5.0 AUXILIARIES POLICIES AND PROCEDURES
The Auxiliary Services Department provides products and services to Alcorn State University students, staff and faculty to enhance their University experience. This is realized through staffing processes and contractual relationships that focus on meeting the needs of our customers. The state of Mississippi requires that Auxiliary Services be self-supporting, inclusive of staff salaries and wages and operational budgets. Inherent in the philosophy of the Auxiliary Services Department are the following actions:
- Listening to customers to determine how they can best be served.
- Focusing on excellence in service delivery including timeliness, service quality and helpfulness, friendliness and competence of staff.
- Regularly assessing the effectiveness of service delivery.
- Regularly assessing the value of the service to the customers.
- Renewing financial information on an ongoing basis to assure that services meet their budget requirements.
The Auxiliary Services Department is located in Room 203 on the second floor of the Walter Washington Administration/Classroom Building.
The Auxiliary Services Department is a University department providing non-academic services to students. The services managed by the Auxiliary Services Department at Alcorn State University include the Bookstore, Trademark and Licensing Administration, Postal Services, Printing and Shipping Services, and Dining Services.
5.1. BOOKSTORE POLICIES AND PROCEDURES
The purpose of the Alcorn State University Bookstore is to provide support by creating an excellent campus operation that contributes to education and support of the University’s goals; to become an integral part of the University by developing partnerships with students, faculty, staff and administration; to excel and continue to innovate in customer service, store design, merchandise selection and store operations; and to conduct business in accordance with high ethical standards.
The Alcorn State University Bookstore is operated by Barnes & Noble College and is a unit of the Auxiliary Services Department in the Division of Administration and Finance.
5.1.3 HOURS OF OPERATION
The hours of operation for the Bookstore are Monday through Thursday from 8 a.m. until 6 p.m., and Friday from 8 a.m. until 4 p.m. The Recharge U (Convenience Area) is open from 8 a.m. until 8 p.m. Monday through Friday and from 12 p.m. until 5 p.m. on Saturday. The Bookstore is closed on Sunday.
5.1.4 SPECIAL HOURS DURING FIRST WEEK OF CLASSES
The hours during the first week of classes are Monday through Thursday from 8 a.m. until 8 p.m. and Friday from 8 a.m. until 6 p.m.
5.1.5 PAYMENT METHODS
Major credit/debit cards, ASU Gold Cards and various agency scholarship awards are accepted. Ordering of merchandise and textbooks can be done online by credit/debit cards and ASU Gold Cards.
5.1.6 SUPPLIES OFFERED
The Bookstore carries a full range of quality emblematic and branded merchandise, gifts, supplies, orders, sells textbooks and related course materials. Textbook rentals and digital versions of some material, adopted for class textbooks, are also offered.
5.1.7 IMPORTANT DATES
Textbook buyback occurs every day. To receive the most value back for textbook(s), the Bookstore recommends selling textbook(s) during the week of finals. The book rental due date is always the last day of finals.
5.1.8 RETURN POLICY
The packing slip provides specific return instructions and addresses. Refer to it for details.
184.108.40.206 MOST ITEMS
Returns are accepted within 14 days of the date the order is received. Books, DVDs, CDs (in the original, unopened, shrink-wrapped condition) as well as toys and games can be mailed with the original packing slip to:
Barnes & Noble
1 Barnes & Noble Way
Monroe Township, NJ 08831
NOOK returns are not accepted at the address above, and no refunds will be approved to NOOKs sent there. See NOOK Returns details. Bring the item and the packing slip to any Barnes & Noble Bookstore within 14 days of receipt. Call the local store for more details. If PayPal was used to complete the order and a refund required, call (800) THE-BOOK (1-800-843-2665) and get a return authorization number for credit back to the PayPal account. If a NOOK is returned to the store and payment was made with PayPal, the Bookstore will give a Barnes & Noble Gift Card or in-store credit. The store cannot refund the PayPal account.
220.127.116.11 MARKETPLACE ITEMS
Within 30 days, Marketplace items can be returned to the authorized seller indicated on the packing slip. The refund will be issued once the seller confirms that the item is in the same condition that it was received, and processes the return through Barnes & Noble.com’s system. If the packing slip is not available, look up the Order Status and click the Check Status button next to the item. The Seller’s e-mail address will be visible which can be used to contact the seller for return procedures.
18.104.22.168 AUDIO BOOKS MP3 POLICY
If dissatisfied with an Audio book MP3, call Customer Service at (800) THE-BOOK (1-800-843-2665) or send an email.
22.214.171.124 RETURN OF ITEMS FROM OTHER VENDORS
Refer to the packaging slip for specific return instructions and addresses for returns purchases from another vendor.
126.96.36.199 NON-RETURNABLE ITEMS
No returns are accepted for NOOK books, magazines, downloadable PDFs for Spark Notes and Quamut products, gift cards and shrink-wrapped items that have been opened. Once purchased, NOOK books cannot be refunded. Bulk orders of 50 or more copies are non-returnable. If the return is shipped or brought to a store after the time frames indicated above or without a packing slip, no refund will be issued and merchandise will be returned. Shipping charges are nonrefundable.
188.8.131.52 RETURN OF ITEMS PURCHASED FROM BARNES & NOBLE BOOKSTORES
It is easy to return an item when not satisfied. Bring the item and cash register receipt to the local Barnes & Noble store for a refund of the original form of payment or a gift receipt for a refund as a gift card. Call the local Barnes & Noble store for more information.
184.108.40.206 NOOK RETURNS
The NOOK can be returned within 14 days of receipt. Call (800) THE-BOOK (1-800-843-2665) for a return authorization, or return it to a Barnes & Noble store. If a return authorization number is not received and the NOOK is sent to the wrong return center, no refund will be provided and the NOOK will not be returned.
Here is the general return policy:
- Receipt is required for all returns and reimbursement.
- A credit refund will be issued to the account originally charged.
- All merchandise must be free of damage and in original packaging.
- Barnes & Noble reserves the right to refuse a refund for any merchandise
- Duplicate receipts will not be provided.
- A 10% restocking fee is charged on all textbook returns.
Here are the exceptions to the policy: a course is cancelled by the University or the textbook required for the course is changed by the instructor or the Bookstore.
220.127.116.11 TEXTBOOK RETURNS
New and used textbooks may be returned within the first 5 days of instruction for the semester in which they are purchased. A full refund will be issued if returning books for a course that was cancelled by the instructor or the Bookstore changed the required book. All other textbook returns are subject to a 10% restocking fee. All textbook returns require a receipt and must be in original condition. For a dropped course, the books must be returned within 7 days of dropping course with verification.
18.104.22.168 CLOTHING/GIFTS/REFERENCE AND TRADE BOOKS
All items must be returned within 30 days of purchase with merchandise tags or in original packaging. Opened merchandise is not returnable.
5.1.9 SPECIAL ORDERS
Special ordered items may be subject to a 10% deposit fee. Customers requesting expedited shipping will be charged the actual expedited shipping costs. The Bookstore will place special orders for books and supply items. Specialty items that are not stocked and that are available from vendors used by the Bookstore may be ordered.
5.1.10 SALES POLICIES/DISCOUNTS
All merchandise is sold on a cash basis (including personal check, Am Ex, Visa, Master Card and Discover), is charged to a departmental account or to a personal faculty/staff account. Departmental charges are billed monthly to departmental accounts by the Bookstore. Each department receives a monthly record of charges made to the account. Departments receive a 20% discount on office supplies. Faculty/staff members receive a 10% discount except for textbooks, computer software, sale merchandise and some special orders.
5.1.11 PRICING POLICYPricing of textbooks is established using the net price charged by each publisher plus a percentage mark-up not to exceed 23%. If a publisher does not structure pricing using a net price, but rather a list price less a discount, the textbook will be priced at the list price. Freight charges are not added to the price of a textbook. The pricing of non-textbook merchandise is set on industry standard margins.
5.1.12 SUBMISSION OF TEXTBOOK ADOPTIONSTextbook adoptions are submitted to the Bookstore via the website. Quantities stocked for classes are based on estimated enrollments, prior sales history and registration figures. Faculty can search over 500,000 titles on the Barnes & Noble Faculty Center Network website: http://www.facultycenter.net.
The Faculty Center Network is a one-stop resource on college textbooks. It is intended to serve faculty by providing robust information on textbooks to help faculty make informed adoption decisions. Adoptions must be submitted as early as possible.
Early requests allow bookstore management to:
- Research the book’s publisher, ISBN, and availability
- Determine if the book is out-of-stock, out-of-print or if there’s a new edition
- Locate and purchase used copies on campus and around the country, and/or order new books from the publisher which may take weeks. Orders for custom and packages tend to take up to 8 weeks.
- Save students money. If Bookstore management knows a textbook is being reused next term, payment to students who sell that book back will be 50% of the purchase price. The more books bought back, the more used books can be sold next term.
- Learn more about the textbook request process at http://www.bncollege.com/textbooks/faculty
- To learn about the NOOK study eBook program, go to the following link at http://www.barnesandnoble.com/NOOKstudy/college/index.asp and also learn how to receive a free eBook for 7 days.
Submission requests are accepted in the following ways:
- Paper – An old adoption form can be submitted.
- Phone – Call the request in at (601) 877-6333.
- Email – Send the request to email@example.com<mailto:firstname.lastname@example.org
- Online – Just go to the website http://www.alcorn.bncollege.com
- Select “faculty” under the Alcorn logo
- Enter in contact information, and
- Follow the 6 easy steps, review, and submit
5.1.13 UPS SERVICES
Merchandise purchased in the Bookstore will be shipped via UPS at the request of the customer.
5.1.14 FACULTY/STAFF AUTHORS
The Bookstore is honored to stock, for sale, publications authored by Alcorn State University faculty and staff members. The Bookstore manager should be contacted to make arrangements to have these publications stocked in the Bookstore.
5.1.15 ADDITIONAL SERVICES
Use the Bookstore for the following additional services:
- Special orders for books, supplies and any item available from Bookstore vendors
- Gift cards
- Promotional sales
- Departmental charge accounts
- Faculty/staff discounts
- Textbook buyback (year round)
- UPS services for Bookstore purchases
- American Express, Master Card, Visa and Discover charge card acceptance
- The RechargeU Grab and Go market sells a wide selection of fresh and packaged foods, drinks including premium hot coffees and teas, organic and natural offerings, energy snacks, health and beauty products and other sundries.
5.1.16 CONTACT INFORMATION
The contact information for the Bookstore is as follows:
Bookstore (601) 877-6333
Fax (601) 877-6332
Bookstore Manager (225) 235-5216
Textbook Manager (601) 877-3943