The probability of the occurrence of a damaging earthquake in the vicinity of Alcorn State University is very low; however the following procedures will be followed in the event of an earthquake “threat” or occurrence.
Comply with the instructions of the Emergency Commanding Officer, University Police or other designated university official(s).
In Classroom or Office
In the event of a suspicious tremor or the announcement of an earthquake, occupants in classroom and offices should:
- Immediately take cover under desks or tables.
- Stay away from windows.
- Evacuate the building as soon as the tremor has subsided. DO NOT USE elevators. DO NOT re-enter the building until it has been checked and certified to be safe.
- Go to an open space away from the buildings and other structures that could fall.
- Lie or crouch low.
- Follow the instructions of the Emergency Commanding Officer, University Police or other designated official(s).
In a Vehicle
- Stop the vehicle away from electric power lines, bridges, overpasses, large trees, or buildings.
- Remain in the vehicle
After the Earthquake
- Follow the instructions of the Emergency Commanding Officer or the University Police.
- DO NOT remove any injured person unless there is imminent danger of a building collapsing. Call the University Police/Fire Department and report injury and wait for assistance.