Infrastructure failure can involve:
- Fire detection and suppression systems
- Heating, ventilation, and air conditioning
To report infrastructure failures call the University Facilities Management Department at ext. 6470
- Turn off equipment to reduce the potential for damage caused by power surges.
- Evacuate laboratories because of the inability to operate fume hoods.
Plumbing Failures / Pipe Ruptures
- Buildings will need to be evacuated if water or sewage systems cannot be restored within a reasonable time.
- Turn off electrical equipment to minimize the potential for electrocutions and equipment damage.
Natural Gas Leaks
- Open windows, if possible, to increase ventilation and let gas escape.
- Turn off all possible ignition sources.
- Do not turn on lights or any electrical equipment.
- Do not use the phone.
- Call the University Police from phones in areas removed from gas leaks.
- Activate building alarms if you believe there is potential danger to building occupants.
- Do not start vehicles within areas of gas leaks.
- Persons trapped in elevators should use emergency telephones in elevators to call the University Police.
- Do not attempt to crawl through escape hatches or force elevator doors open. Only trained mechanics, elevator technicians, and fire/rescue personnel are permitted to conduct elevator rescues.