The academic appeal process for graduate students is designed to be a fair process in making determinations about the academic status of students and their continuation in graduate school at Alcorn State University.
There are two levels in the hierarchy for submitting an appeal.
Level 1: Graduate Studies
the provisions of student success for graduate students, fair treatment is
given to students with academic complaints and issues. These matters are
addressed through procedures for each type of issue, which is due process. Due Process
is an option to give students an opportunity to resolve academic standing and
degree completion issues for their continuation in graduate school at Alcorn
State University. Students may appeal in writing for just cause of unmet academic
standards that impede continuance of enrollment. Students may request readmission
back into graduate school or more time to complete their degree as reasons for
petitioning the graduate school. Other circumstances can be requested for
consideration such as a course grade dispute that has caused the student to be
terminated, a change in grade that caused the student’s GPA to drop below a 3.0,
and coursework that exceeds the six-year time limit for degree completion. In
these deliberations, the academic status of a student is reviewed and the data
collection, review, and appeal decision can take up to 30 days.
Students who these conditions are applicable, must follow the appeals process to be considered for readmission or a time extension to complete their degree requirements.
Appeal Process: The first level of submission is Level 1 – Graduate Studies.
1. Complete an appeals application for the program the student is seeking readmission.
2. The student must submit the appeal within 10 business days after the determination of academic standing notification from the Office of Graduate Studies.
3. Appeals for expiration of the six-year time limit should be submitted based on extenuating circumstances which affected the student’s progress.
4. Application must be completed in its entirety and supporting documentation must accompany the application to support the request.
5. Email the appeals form and documentation to email@example.com and include Graduate Academic Appeals and your name in the subject line.
6. A data file will be created to include the appeal form, supporting documentation, student graduate transcript, academic standing profile, and recommendation from the department if the request is for expiration of the six-year time limit. The Graduate Studies Administrator will review and contact the student if additional information is needed, or if there are questions.
7. The appeal information is shared with the department chair or graduate rep(s) for input and accuracy. This process can take from two weeks to 30 days.
8. Following collaboration, the Graduate Studies Administrator will communicate the decision to the student, advisor, and academic unit chair via email within four days.
9. A detailed electronic communication is forwarded to the student to inform him/her of the decision and the next step(s).
Questions regarding the decision should be directed to the Graduate Studies Administrator in the Office of Graduate Studies.
Graduate Studies Appeal Form
Level 2: Academic Affairs
This is the last step in the due process proceedings to decide the merits of the request.
- The student has the option of submitting an appeal to the Office for Academic Affairs if he/she did not receive a favorable decision from the Office of Graduate Studies.
- The student must provide a formal written request to Academic Affairs within one week from the date of the decision letter or after receiving the decision from the Office of Graduate Studies.
- The student must submit all pertinent documentation from the Office of Graduate Studies including a copy of the appeal decision as well as other relevant information, i.e. transcripts, proof of exigence, approved grade-change forms, etc. as applicable.
- The student must craft a detailed formal letter stating justification for requesting reversal of the Graduate Studies appeal decision.
- An appeal to the Office for Academic Affairs is no guarantee that the appeal decision at the Office of Graduate Studies will be reversed.
- A decision will be rendered based upon the information contained in the appeal.
Academic Affairs Appeal Form