Friendship Family Program
Alcorn State University’s Friendship Family Program (FFP) gives new international undergraduate and graduate students the opportunity to become acquainted with local families in the surrounding Mississippi communities. Sponsored by the Office of Global Programs, the Friendship Family Program pairs international students with host families who welcome them to the U.S. and help them adjust to college life at Alcorn State University. Students and families get to know one another through occasional visits to host families' homes, going on outings, attending FFP events, and spending special occasions together. The FFP experience provides students with a unique "window into American culture," as well as gives families the opportunity to benefit from Alcorn’s diverse international community.
What is the International Friendship Family Program (FFP)?
- FFP is a program that matches new international Alcorn students with local U.S. families.
- The purpose of FFP is to give students and families the opportunity to build relationships and share cultures in a unique, personal, and fulfilling way.
- Students and families then arrange to spend time together on their own (either off-campus or at Alcorn) as often as mutually desired.
- Friendship Families may include their student in informal dinners, holiday celebrations, occasional family outings, or any other event that adds to the richness of his/her experience in the U.S.
- Alcorn students can invite their Friendship Families to on-campus events and programs open to the public.
- The initial commitment is for the fall term, but many students and families choose to remain in contact and maintain their relationships throughout the students' time at Alcorn and even beyond.
- Friendship Families can include Alcorn faculty members, administrators, and staff members, as well as residents in the surrounding nearby communities. Friendship Families may be single individuals, couples, partners, or families with children of various ages.
If you are interested in becoming a Friendship Family for Alcorn State University and help our international students really get to experience the American culture and way of life, please fill in and submit the application below. Once your application is received, someone will contact you to discuss more details of the program with you.