Highlights for January 2016
School of Arts and Sciences
- Dr. Babu P. Patlolla attended the MURA Board Meeting on January 21, 2016 in Jackson, MS.
- Tri-Beta Biological National Honor Society inducted 9 new members, Dr. Voletta P. Williams, Primary Advisor
- The IACUC Annual Report was submitted to NIH by Dr. Voletta P. Williams
- Drs. Voletta P. Williams and Dr. Marta Piva completed the QEP workshop.
- Dr. Voletta P. Williams completed training for Website Development
- Dr. Alexander D.W. Acholonu will be honored with the prestigious Health Care Disparities Award of the Mississippi Academy of Sciences (MAS) for 2016 on Thursday, the 18th of February at the University of Southern Mississippi in Hattiesburg, MS during the annual meeting of the Academy.
- Tamikka Coleman, Classie Johnson and Jivarre Hunt received Honorable mention by the Mississippi Academy of Sciences; Research Mentors Drs. Jon Moreno and Marta Piva.
Chemistry and Physics
- Faculty (Sonia Eley and Sandra Barnes) and approximately ten chemistry majors from the Department of Chemistry and Physics served as judges for the 2016 Saturday Science Fair held on Saturday, January 30, 2016 at the E.E. Simmons Gymnasium.
English, Languages, and Mass Communication
- Dr. Peter Malik was named Academic Coach of the Game at basketball game on 01/23/16.
- Mr. Larry Sanders publishes the student run Campus Chronicle and was able to get the student run radio shows off and running for WPRL 91.7 FM.
- Mr. Brian Kehler joined the choir at St. James and St. Andrew’s Cathedral in Jackson.
- Mr. Jerome Myles represented WPRL in the annual MLK youth luncheon and the parade.
- The Marching Band participated in the Honda Battle of the Bands in Atlanta, GA on January 30, 2016.
- Dr. Karl Twyner attended the musical performance in Belzoni, MS on January 23, 2016.
- Conducted Army Physical Fitness Test-20 Jan
- JSU PMS, LTC Dexter Brookins served as a guest speaker for MS402.
- Cadet Vernell Mcdonald was one of 11 Cadets selected (out of 3000) to participate in the United States Military Academy Mission Command Conference in West Point, New York.
- Cadet Matthew Phan was selected to participate in the George C. Marshall Leadership Seminar located in Ft. Leavenworth, Kansas.
- The Department of Social Work received confirmation of the CSWE Reaffirmation Site visit for April 7, 2016.
- Paper Presentation “Supporting and Preserving Families of Older Americans Through Community Welfare” at the 14th Annual Mississippi Child Welfare Institute Conference, Jackson, MS, on January 28-29, 2016.