Code of Conduct
Alcorn State University participates in the William D. Ford Federal Stafford Loan Program. Loans offered through this program are the Federal Subsidized and Unsubsidized Loans for students, the PLUS Loan for parents of dependent students and the Grad PLUS Loan for graduate students.
Alcorn State University has in addition to the federal loan program, a private alternative loan program to which students may apply. This program is through private banks and agencies and a student must apply directly to these entities for additional loan funding.
In compliance with the 2008 Higher Education Opportunity Act, Alcorn State University has established a Code of Conduct by which all loan programs directly administered by the Office of Student Financial Aid and Scholarships must adhere.
- Alcorn State University as an institution or any individual officer, employee or agent of Alcorn State University shall not enter into any revenue-sharing arrangements with any lender.
- No officer or employee of Alcorn State University who is employed in the financial aid office or who otherwise has responsibilities with respect to education loans, or agent who has responsibilities with respect to education loans, or any of their family members, shall solicit or accept any gift from a lender, guarantor, or servicer of education loans. For purposes of this prohibition, the term "gift" means any gratuity, favor, discount, entertainment, hospitality, loan, or other item having a monetary value of more than a de minimus amount.
- An officer or employee of Alcorn State University who is employed in the financial aid office or who otherwise has responsibilities with respect to education loans, or an agent who has responsibilities with respect to education loans, shall not accept from any lender or affiliate of any lender any fee, payment, or other financial benefit (including the opportunity to purchase stock) as compensation for any type of consulting arrangement or other contract to provide services to a lender or on behalf of a lender relating to education loans.
- Alcorn State University does not have a preferred lender list (PLL) for alternative loans and, therefore, will not use a preferred lender list (PLL) to:
Require a prospective borrower to use a lender on a PLL;
Deny or otherwise impede a borrower’s choice of lender;
Cause unnecessary certification delays for borrowers who use a lender that is not listed on a PLL.
- Alcorn State University shall not request or accept from any lender any offer of funds to be used for private education loans, including funds for an opportunity pool loan, to students in exchange for the institution providing concessions or promises regarding providing the lender with:
a specified number of loans made, insured, or guaranteed under Title IV;
a specified loan volume of such loans; or
a preferred lender arrangement for such loans.
- Alcorn State University shall not request or accept from any lender any assistance with call center staffing or financial aid office staffing.
- Any employee who is employed in the financial aid office, or who otherwise has responsibilities with respect to education loans or other student financial aid, and who serves on an advisory board, commission, or group established by a lender, guarantor, or group of lenders or guarantors, shall be prohibited from receiving anything of value from the lender, guarantor, or group of lenders or guarantors, except that the employee may be reimbursed for reasonable expenses incurred in serving on such advisory board, commission, or group.