Where Knowledge and Character Matter ®

Types of Financial Aid

Federal Pell Grant:
A federal grant program for needy students who have not received a baccalaureate or professional degree; administered by the U. S. Department of Education. This grant is awarded based on the EFC from the SAR.

Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant (FSEOG):
One of the campus-based programs; grants for students with exceptional financial need who have not completed their first baccalaureate degree. Priority for FSEOG awards must be given to Federal Pell Grant recipients with the lowest EFC's.

Teacher Education Assistance for College and Higher Education (TEACH):
The U.S. Department of Education's Teacher Education Assistance for College and Higher Education (TEACH) Grant Program provides grant funds to postsecondary students who are completing or planning to complete coursework that is needed to begin a career in teaching, and who agree to serve for at least four years as a full-time, highly qualified teacher in a high-need field, in a school serving low-income students. Eligible full-time students may receive $4,000 per year in TEACH Grant funds, up to a maximum of $16,000 for undergraduates and post baccalaureate study, and $8,000 for graduate study. More details can be found on Federal Student Aid's TEACH Fact Sheet.

Diversity Grant (SSDG):
Non-black students that meet board requirements are eligible to apply for a diversity grant in the amount of $700 per semester (prorated if less than full time). Priority will be given to main campus (Lorman) students. All recipients must meet the following criteria: (1) Be Non-black, (2) Enroll in a degree granting program, and (3) Meet Board approved requirements for admission.

Federal Work-Study (FWS):
One of the campus-based programs; a part-time employment program which provide jobs for undergraduate and graduate students who are in need of such earnings to meet a portion of their educational expenses.

Direct Stafford Loan (subsidized and unsubsidized):
Long term, low interest loans administered by the Department of Education through the William D. Ford Loan Program. Variable interest rate, not to exceed 8.25%. Unsubsidized Federal Stafford Loans may be used to replace the EFC.

Direct PLUS Loan:
Long-term loans made available to parents of dependent students. Interest rates are variable, not to exceed 9%. May be used to replace the EFC; amount borrowed is limited to the cost of attendance minus estimated financial assistance.

The State of Mississippi offers various scholarships, loans and grants. For additional information and application visit their website at www.msfinancialaid.org.

Mississippi Resident Tuition Assistance Grant (MTAG):
Administered by Mississippi Post-Secondary Board, full-time students with high school and/or college GPA of 2.5 & ACT score of 15. Must be a resident of Mississippi for 1 year prior to enrollment.

Mississippi Eminent Scholars Fund (MESG):
Incoming freshman with high school GPA of 3.5 and ACT score of 29.

Academic Scholarships

All scholarship recipients are recommended to file the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) to be considered for Federal and/or State Aid. You can apply via the web at www.studentaid.gov. If, after filing the FAFSA, you are eligible for a Federal Pell Grant, your scholarship will be reduced by the amount of the Federal Pell Grant (reduction only applies to President’s Excellence, Provost Scholar and Provost Diversity Scholar recipients). Off-campus students receiving an academic scholarship that covers room and board will only receive tuition (less Pell reduction) and the stipend or book amount associated with that scholarship. If receiving more than one institutional scholarship, all institutional scholarships combined (including Pell amount reduction for full academic scholarships) cannot exceed the cost of tuition, room and board (plus allocated books/stipends). Institutional Scholarships includes Academic, Diversity (Scholarship and Grant), Band, Music or any scholarship deemed as institutional.

If you receive additional aid (grant, scholarships, loans, etc.), all combined cannot exceed the cost of attendance budget. If exceeded, your institutional aid will be adjusted.

Service Scholarships
Awarded through Band, Athletics, Music, ROTC, etc... (For Additional Service Scholarships information, please contact the Department of Interest directly).