Alcorn State University is excited to welcome all of its students back to campus for the fall 2021 semester. As the University continues to evaluate changing health conditions, it remains committed to mitigating the spread of COVID-19 while ensuring a safe return to campus and the activities that make the traditional college experience so rich and rewarding.
Alcorn will continue to monitor and maintain compliance with CDC, Mississippi State Department of Health (MSDH), and Institutions of Higher Learning guidelines, in addition to state and local regulations, pertaining to the COVID-19 pandemic. Although the University planned to relax some of the COVID-19 protocols, due to the recent rise in cases of the COVID-19 Delta variant, the following protocols will be effective August 7, 2021.
General Brave Start Updates
- Face coverings are required for students, faculty, staff, and visitors for all in-person academic classes and class-related activities, as well as all indoor venues and events, regardless of vaccination status.
- Face coverings are strongly encouraged for outdoor venues when in small groups or in close proximity to others.
- If exposed to COVID-19, persons who are fully vaccinated will not be required to quarantine unless they are exhibiting symptoms.
- Residence Life will have a limited number of isolation/quarantine spaces for residential students. First priority for those spaces will be given to students whose home of residence is outside of a reasonable commuting distance as determined by the University.
The key to fully resuming normal operations is personal responsibility and vaccinations. We continue to strongly encourage all faculty, staff, students, as well as student’s household and family members to continue:
- exercising best practices of handwashing,
- social distancing to the extent practicable; and
- wearing face coverings.
On-Campus Walk-up Vaccinations During Move-In
The University is offering the COVID-19 vaccine for faculty, staff, undergraduate students, graduate students, and the families of those in the University community ages 18 and up, on the main campus plaza near the Student Union Building, during move-in days. No appointment is necessary.
On-Campus Vaccination by Appointment
Vaccinations are readily available at no cost via Campus Health and Disability Services. Visit Health and Disability Services or call 601-877-6460 to learn more about the available COVID-19 vaccines and how to schedule an appointment.
The University will continue to monitor the progression of the COVID-19 pandemic and make adjustments as required. Please continue to check the University’s Brave Start webpage for updates.
Thank you for your patience and understanding as we work together to keep our community safe in an ever-evolving situation.