ASU Password Policy
Responsible Division: Center for Information Technology Services
Responsible Office: Center for Information Technology Services
Issue/Revision Date: September 22, 2017
Alcorn State University is committed to a secure information technology environment in support of its mission. In today's information technology environment the need for a strong password policy is greater than ever. Many systems at the University require the use of passwords such as e-mail, academic and administrative applications, computing labs, and VPN.
- Password Rules: Your login ID and password will authenticate you as an authorized user of the Alcorn State University computing environment. A strong password is key to the University's overall systems security. You must protect your files and University resources by choosing a good password and protecting it.
- You are responsible for safeguarding the passwords for your computing accounts. Passwords must not be shared or disclosed to anyone including friends or family.
- It is strongly recommended that you change all your passwords regularly.
- Do not use the password that you choose for your Alcorn State University accounts with other off-campus services such as Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIN, Google and Yahoo. This is to protect your Alcorn accounts in case those services are breached or in case your service provider does not encrypt passwords during the authentication process. You must change your password immediately if you notice unusual activity on your system or account.
- Password Length: Minimum password length: 7 characters
- Password Complexity: Password must contain at least one lowercase letter, one uppercase letter, and one number.
- Disallow usage of the following personal information embedded in your password:
- ASU Number
- Name (first, middle, or last)
- Birth year (YYYY)
- Password Maintenance: Passwords must be changed once every 90 days.
- Passwords cannot be the same as the previously 4 used passwords.
-Contact the Help Desk at: (601) 877-6182 (You will be asked to provide information to verify your identity.)