Where is Counseling Services Located?
Walter Washington Administrative Classroom Building (WWACB)
3rd Floor, Room 305
Who do we serve?
Enrolled ASU Students
How do I make an appointment?
To make an appointment, call 601-877-6230 or come to Room 305- WWACB.
WALK-INS ARE WELCOME
What services do we offer?
- Individual Counseling- provides an opportunity for students to meet with a counselor on a one-on-one basis to help resolve conflicts, solve problems, and develop coping skills that promote emotional, behavioral, and social well being.
- Group Counseling- a counselor assists multiple students in a group setting who have similar issues and concerns. Each student must agree to group counseling.
- Consulting/Referrals an extensive list of referral agencies are maintained by Counseling Services. Staff are also available for consultation as deemed necessary and appropriate, with faculty, staff and/or other official representatives of Alcorn State University.
- Alcorn Substance Abuse Prevention Program (ASAPP) Alcorn Substance Abuse Prevention Program is designed to decrease the problems associated with ATOD (alcohol, tobacco, & other drugs) use and abuse at Alcorn State University. It targets collegiate students throughout campus with both evidence and non-evidence-based programming. The ASU Counseling Services Center also provides primary prevention programs to students in public school districts surrounding Alcorn State University.
- Outreach Programs Counseling Services conducts presentations, workshops, and seminars that are designed to enhance the psychological, social, and academic well-being of our students, faculty, staff, and the Alcorn State University community. Examples of prevention outreach program topics include (but are not limited to) the following areas: stress management, relationship issues, coping with depression/grief, time management, and substance abuse prevention.
- Psychological Assessment Evaluation Behavioral , personality and intelligence assessments are offered as deemed necessary in the provision of Counseling Services.
What is the cost?
There are no charges for counseling services provided by the Counseling Services. However, if referrals are made to outside agencies, you are responsible for any fees incurred from those agencies.
What about Confidentiality?
Students are assured of confidentiality in accordance with ethical and legal standards set by the American Psychological Association, American Counseling Association, and National Association of Social Workers. Disclosure of confidential information regarding any student without written consent from the student is prohibited by Counseling Services, Alcorn State University, the Family Education Rights and Privacy Act of 1974 (FERPA) and the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act of 2003 (HIPPA).
Counseling services staff may only release information to the proper authorities if the student:
1. Demonstrates a clear and imminent danger to self or others, OR
2. Indicates that a minor, elderly person (65 or older), or dependent (vulnerable) adult is being abused or neglected and, OR
3. Is involved in litigation and the court orders that information be disclosed.