Mississippi State Department of Health
HOTLINE: 877.978.6453 | Hours: 8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m. M-F
To: Alcorn State University Employees and Students
From: Cornelius Wooten, PhD, Senior Vice President for Finance and Administration
Date: August 4, 2020
Re: COVID-19 Face Covering Policy and Enforcement of COVID-19 Face Covering Policy
Alcorn State University has issued a face covering policy for all University personnel, students, staff, contractors, and visitors who are on campus amid the COVID-19 pandemic.
This policy is in accordance with federal and state workplace safety requirements and the Governors Executive Orders 1512, 1509, and 1507.
Research shows that transmission of COVID-19 is greatly reduced and lives are saved when all individuals wear face coverings while in public. Because many cases of COVID-19 are mild or asymptomatic and COVID-19 can be transmitted days before an individual with the virus is symptomatic, the community is best protected when all individuals mask up. It is the shared responsibility of the entire ASU community to protect not only their health, but the health of those who are most vulnerable for serious illness and death from COVID-19.
Face covering will help to slow the spread of the virus, and are part of a multi-layered approach for COVID-19 prevention. Other preventive measures – including physical distancing, frequent hand washing, routine disinfecting of high touch surfaces, and minimizing the duration of contact with others –need to be maintained even while wearing a face covering.
Alcorn State University requires all students, staff, faculty and visitors to wear a face covering that covers the mouth and nose while anywhere on ASU property (including the Natchez campus and Vicksburg facility). This includes when inside buildings (classrooms, public restrooms, meeting rooms, libraries, Dining Hall, offices and office spaces where two or more gather and six-foot physical distancing cannot be achieved), outdoors and on ASU transportation. Face coverings are also required outdoors when six-foot physical distancing cannot be achieved.
Policies can be found at:
- Face Mask Policy: https://www.alcorn.edu/uploaded/files/finadmin/hr/...
- Enforcement of COVID-19 Face Covering Policy: https://www.alcorn.edu/uploaded/files/finadmin/hr/...
- What is COVID-19, Coronavirus?
- How does Coronavirus Spread?
- What are the Symptoms?
- What should I do if I have symptoms?
- How Can You Protect Yourself?
- Have any cases of coronavirus been confirmed in Mississippi?
- Am I required to tell anyone if I test positive for COVID-19?
- Is the University closed?
- Am I required to go home for Spring Break and Extended Spring Break?
- What are resident students to do about returning to campus?
- If you are unable to leave campus, please be aware of the following:
- What is the status of my classes?
- How is the University keeping facilities clean and disinfected?
- What if I have a previously scheduled university event?
- What is Social Distancing?
- I am scheduled to travel for the University, what am I to do?
- What if I am an individual with an Existing/Underlying Health Condition?
- My child’s school is closing, what am I to do?
- What about campus operations?
- What happens when an employee is sick?
- I am feeling anxiety about this situation, are there resources to assist me?