Alcorn students win the Benjamin A. Gilman International Scholarship, spend semester in Morocco and Botswana

Two Alcorn State University students have just returned from spending their fall semesters abroad after receiving grants from the Benjamin A. Gilman International Scholarship Program. Rica Mitchell, a sophomore majoring in sociology, studied at Al Akhawayn University in Ifrane, Morocco. Deshion Madlock, a junior majoring in biology/pre-med was in Gaborone at the University of Botswana.

“I was proud and honored to have been chosen as a recipient after going through the competitive selection process, and it makes me feel good to know that my hard work had paid off,” said a Missouri native Deshion Madlock.”I took courses in biology and genetics while in Botswana. I also fully immersed myself in learning Swahili, and got an understanding of the customs and culture of the Bantu and Batswana tribes.”

Rica Mitchell, originally from Chicago, Illinois, said, “I am thankful to Alcorn for exposing me to this incredible opportunity and appreciate the Gilman program for the generous support and contribution of my educational endeavors.”

To read more and see photos, click here.