Alcorn Advanced Technologies/Health Physics student interns with EPA

Alcorn Advanced Technologies/Health Physics student interns with EPA 2012 George Osei

Osei analyzing samples in the Radiation Detection and Monitoring Laboratory.

September 21, 2012 – George Osei, a senior majoring in applied science with a concentration in health physics in the Department of Advanced Technologies at Alcorn, recently participated in an Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) internship in Las Vegas, Nevada. His internship was part of the EPA STAR Fellowship program; the fellowship was awarded for the years 2012-2014. Students selected for this opportunity receive up to $45,000 for a two-year period for their tuition, monthly stipend, travel money to professional conferences, books, and an internship at the EPA.

“I am thankful to my school and my instructors in the Department Advanced Technologies for preparing me well for this outstanding opportunity,” stated Osei. “I am especially grateful to my mentor Jermiah Billa for encouraging me personally and professionally in my educational training period.” “George is a hardworking student who is always willing to learn and put extra effort in his research and class activities,” shared Osei’s major advisor Billa.

After completing his bachelor’s degree, Osei plans to continue his education by pursuing a master’s degree at Alcorn State University majoring in radiological health science (health physics) and conduct research in environmental radiation monitoring under the supervision of Jermiah Billa. Upon receiving his graduate degree, Osei would like to work as a health physicist with EPA or another federal organization.

Students interested in EPA fellowships or graduate programs in the Department of Advanced Technologies, please call 601.877.6482 or send email to [email protected] .