Alcorn’s Fine Arts faculty and students participate in Natchez Festival of Music

Alcorn’s Fine Arts faculty and students participate in Natchez Festival of Music 13 a Donna Schaffer

Donna Schaffer.

Alcorn State, Miss. (June 7, 2013) – Donna Schaffer, director of Choral Activities at Alcorn State University, was featured in the Natchez Festival of Music held in Natchez, Mississippi, May 4-25.

She served as the accompanist for “A Musical Wine Tasting” held at BriarVue at the Briars, and “Rossini, Puccini, and martinis” held at the Eola Hotel, both on Sunday, May 19.

During the festival, musicians from around the globe presented 22 works in operatic and musical theatre selections.

“The events were very well attended and the audience was wildly receptive,” shared Schaffer. “I really enjoyed working with the artists and loved performing with the festival just as I have over the past 12 years.”

Participating in the festival, Schaffer has performed in many capacities: singer, pianist, and director.

“The festival is a great event for the city of Natchez and surrounding communities,” added Schaffer. “I was very proud to prepare two of my Alcorn students Larry Macklin and Rhonda Price for the festival. They auditioned, were hired, and did a fabulous job in the final opera ‘Rigoletto’. I feel it is important for students and faculty alike to hone their craft consistently.”

To read more about the Natchez Festival of Music, click here.