Alcorn’s Cook ’07 named 2013-2014 Emerging Philanthropist of New Orleans

Alcorn alumnus Samuel Cook III, principal at Omega Career Development, LLC, was recently named a 2013-2014 “Emerging Philanthropist” by Emerging Philanthropists of New Orleans, a non-profit organization that inspires and educates young leaders to become effective, lifelong philanthropists and to impact positive change in the New Orleans region. He was one of 40 leaders in the Greater New Orleans region selected for the program, which provides more than $122,000 in grants to local charitable organizations in the city.

Cook graduated from Alcorn in 2007 with a bachelor’s degree in interdisciplinary studies.

He shared, “My experience at Alcorn State University taught me the importance of philanthropy, and belief in the axiom that ‘to whomsoever much is given, much is also required’. Whether working with local businesspersons to write business plans through Students in Free Enterprise or helping to repair storm-damaged homes along the Gulf Coast, Alcorn impressed upon me and my classmates the absolute necessity of volunteering. Those values have remained with me throughout my career.”

Cook serves as principal at Omega Career Development, an expert career consulting and retained executive search firm that provides coaching and targeted consulting to clients throughout the nation. He is a member of Omega Psi Phi Fraternity, Inc. and has been named a “Top 40 Under 40” leader for the Greater New Orleans region by The Gambit magazine.

For more information on Emerging Philanthropists of New Orleans, visit www.emergingphilanthropists.org .