Alcorn Future Farmers of America members attend 82nd Mississippi State Convention

Aspiring farmers from Alcorn State University were recently exposed to the aspects of farming.

Alcorn’s Future Farmers of America (FFA) members, along with their advisor, Dr. Avis Joseph, assistant professor of agricultural education, School of Agriculture, Research, Extension and Applied Sciences attended the 82nd Mississippi FFA Convention June 1-4 at Mississippi State University in Starkville, Miss.

According to Joseph, the main purpose for attending the convention was to expose Alcorn students to the State FFA organization, state career development events, career awareness, leadership development as well as assist in the recruitment of high school students to the University.

“FFA makes a positive difference in the lives of students by developing their potential for premier leadership, personal growth and career success through agricultural education. Students whose lives are impacted by FFA and agricultural education will achieve academic and personal growth by strengthening American agriculture and providing leadership to build healthy local communities, a strong nation, and a sustainable world,” said Joseph.

Current and past agriculture students expressed their pleasure with the information shared at the convention.

“It was a fascinating and interesting experience, considering I had never visited the Mississippi State University campus, and never attended a FFA Convention,” said Ieisha Jackson, who is a junior, agricultural education major. “I enjoyed speaking with the high school students about attending Alcorn after high school graduation. I was extremely impressed at how well the students dressed and conducted themselves during the meetings. Their professionalism will definitely take them a long way. My colleagues and I, also, enjoyed speaking with other vendors and teachers. Lastly, I hope we made a lasting impact on the students’ decision to attend Alcorn in the near future.”

“My experience at the FFA Convention was great,” said Lashaunda McDaniel, who graduated from Alcorn in May. “I learned so much about the meetings and FFA. The students were polite and pleasant. I enjoyed meeting the teachers as dwell as making the students more knowledgeable about Alcorn State University. I was so happy to see the parents and teachers encourage the students about agriculture at an early age. A majority of the students wanted a career in agriculture.”

For additional information about joining FFA, please contact Dr. Joseph at 601-877-4055 or [email protected].

• Ag FFA convention resized.jpg