Alcorn’s SGA President Adrian McLain interns with Penske

Alcorn State University’s 2015-2016 Student Government Association President Adrian McLain has been staying busy this summer.

McLain is an intern at Penske Truck Leasing in San Francisco, California. His duties are office work, sales, managing fleets of vehicles, and driving trucks. Penske Corporation is a closely held, on highway, diversified transportation services company whose subsidiaries operate in a variety of industry segments, including retail automotive, truck leasing, transportation logistics, transportation component manufacturing and professional motorsports.

McLain spoke highly of his current city and stressed how much he is enjoying his experience.

“It’s been really great,” said McLain. “I wake up every morning and go to work in the beautiful city of San Francisco. The scenery alone in the area is jaw dropping. I’ve learned so much by being in such a different environment. This experience is something that is shaping me for becoming a better professional.”

McLain, a senior, political science major, took a different route with his internship at Penske. Although he aspires to be a lawyer and has done law internships before, he wanted to add some variety to his resume to show how well rounded he could be.

“I chose Penske because it’s so different I wanted to add something different to my resume. This internship focuses heavily on critical skills vital to law school and life in general.”

McLain said that his experience has taught him to be more cognizant of what he does with his time. He said he plans to apply his improved time managing skills to his life as a student.

“Time management has been a great lesson that I’ve learned here. This skill is so important to my success as a student and SGA president. I’ve also grasped the concept of being an adult by getting up every morning for work and managing my personal finances. This internship has prepared me for life after Alcorn.”

In the midst of interning, McLain took the Law School Admission Test (LSAT) and made high scores. He will be eligible for law school upon graduating from Alcorn in 2016. McLain credits his faith and hard work for his success.

“I am so glad I took the test. My faith really helped me conquer the LSAT and it is refreshing to have gotten through it. It is truly a blessing to know that I’ll be a law student in less than a year.”

• Adrian McLain.jpg