In 1971, when Alcorn State University first began operating under Public Law 89-106, the University operated extension programs in five counties: Copiah, Lincoln, Claiborne, Jefferson, and Pike. Ten additional counties: Scott, Smith, Simpson, Hinds, Warren, Lawrence, Adams, Wilkinson, Amite, and Walthall were added in 1972.
Formula funds were first made available to operate the Cooperative Extension Program in October of 1971; however, outreach activities at Alcorn State University pre-dated the establishment by nearly 50 years. Extension Programs were developed under the Smith-Lever Act by Alcorn State University and other 1890 Institutions as early as 1921. The 1862 Institution (Mississippi State University) provided supervision and overall administration of the program. The Smith-Lever Act of 1914 made no provisions for the sharing of federal funds with 1890 Institutions. Alcorn State University Extension Program (ASUEP) was revamped in 2002.
The basic purpose of the Cooperative Extension system is to improve American agriculture and strengthen the nation’s families and communities through dissemination and application of research-generated knowledge and leadership techniques, collaborative learning organization committed to the growth and development.
The Alcorn State University Extension Program is a premier “Extension Center of Excellence” for limited-resource audiences which is a proactive, responsive, and collaborative learning organization committed to the growth and development of people through life-long learning.
To improve the quality of life of limited-resource audiences through education in a time of dynamic change.
LEADERSHIP SPECIALISTS EDUCATORS ADMINISTRATIVE SUPPORT SUPPORT STAFF