ADA Grievance Policy
It is the policy of Alcorn State University not to discriminate on the basis of disability. Alcorn State University Department of Health & Disability Services has adopted an internal grievance procedure providing for prompt and equitable resolution of complaints alleging any action prohibited by the Americans with Disability Act (ADA). Section 504 states that all public-funded universities, community colleges, and vocational schools that receive federal funding from the U.S. Department of Education are required to make their programs accessible to students with disabilities. The Law and Regulations may be examined in the office of Health & Disability Services, 601-877-6460, who has been designated to coordinate the efforts of Alcorn State University to comply with Section 504 .
Any person who believes she or he has been subjected to discrimination on the basis of disability may file a grievance under this procedure. It is against the law for Alcorn State University to retaliate against anyone who files a grievance or cooperates in the investigation of a grievance.
- Grievances must be submitted to the Director of Health & Disability Services within 30 days of the date the person filing the grievance becomes aware of the alleged discriminatory action.
- A complaint must be in writing, containing the name and address of the person filing it. The complaint must state the problem or action alleged to be discriminatory and the remedy or relief sought.
- The Director of Health & Disability Services (or her/his designee) shall conduct an investigation of the complaint. This investigation may be informal, but it must be thorough, affording all interested persons an opportunity to submit evidence relevant to the complaint. The Director of Health & Disability Services will maintain the files and records of Alcorn State University relating to such grievances.
- The Director of Health & Disability Services will issue a written decision on the grievance no later than 30 days after its filing.
- The person filing the grievance may appeal the decision of the Director of Health & Disability Services by writing to the Vice-President of Student Affairs within 15 days of receiving the Director of Health & Disability Services decision. The Vice-President of Student Affairs shall issue a written decision in response to the appeal no later than 30 days after its filing.
- The availability and use of this grievance procedure does not prevent a person from filing a complaint of discrimination on the basis of disability with the U. S. Department of Education, Office for Civil Rights:
U.S. Department of Education
Office for Civil Rights D.C.
Enforcement Office 400
Maryland Avenue, SW
Washington, D.C. 20202-1475
Alcorn State University Department of Health & Disability Services will make appropriate arrangements to ensure that disabled persons are provided other accommodations, if needed, to participate in this grievance process. The Director of Health & Disability Services will be responsible for such arrangements.
Department of Health & Disability Services
Alcorn State University
1000 ASU Drive, #779
Alcorn State, MS 39096