Alcorn pre-law student publishes a book of poetry

Jamaal J. Muhammad, a sophomore majoring in pre-law at Alcorn State University, released his first book “Life Though Poetry” and held a book signing on campus in May 2014.

Muhammad said that he was inspired to write poetry by his teacher at the age of 12, but because of school and other activities, it is only now that his work came to fruition.

“The poems are about life, my personal experiences and things that people go through or can relate to,” shared Muhammad.

“I would like to thank the entire family of my supporters for helping me reach the point where I am today.”

Originally from Arlington, Texas, Muhammad now lives in Fayette, Mississippi. He came to Alcorn in 2013, where he is a part of Honors Students Organization, Student Ambassadors, the Muslim Student Organization, the pre-law club and First Year Experience. Muhammad is involved in community service within the New Nation of Islam. He is also enjoys baking, playing his guitar and writing songs. Muhammad plans to graduate in 2016 and further his education at a law school.

Published by Shabazz Printing, the book is available at Alcorn’s book store, to order your copy, call 601-786-1632. Follow Muhammad on Twitter @JamaalMuhammad1 and on Instagram @attorney4justice.

• Muhammad_Book Cover.jpg