Brandon Rook shines bright as Alabama news reporter

It was career day at Cornerstone Christian Academy in Southwest Philadelphia, Penn. A news anchor came to spread his knowledge in broadcast journalism to a class full of junior high school students who were eager to see what options they would have in their future. In that group of students was 13-year-old Brandon Rook, a kid who developed an interest in the field by faithfully watching the morning news while getting ready for school. That news anchor’s speech solidified Brandon’s love for journalism.

“During that day, the reporter explained the in’s and out’s of the news business and it really grabbed my attention. From that day on, I knew that being a television reporter was a destined career for me,” said Rook, who graduated from Alcorn State in 2012.

Rook turned his childhood dream into reality in December by becoming the general assignment reporter for WTVY News 4 in Dothan, Alabama. He provides local and breaking news to the residents in the Dothan community. Currently, Rook covers the Florida beat, which consists of Walton County, Washington County, Holmes County and Jackson County in the Florida panhandle area. Rook’s love for feeding his community valuable information makes him look forward to going to work.

“The feeling of providing news is very fun. Every day, I wake up excited about informing local residents about the great things going on in the area. Working in the media also allows me to have an opportunity to be a voice for the voiceless and provide information that can help save lives.”

Besides sharing the news, Rook enjoys getting out and interacting with new people. His career gives him the opportunity to mingle and create bonds with surrounding citizens.

“The thing I enjoy about being a journalist is meeting all different types of people on a daily basis. I’m a people’s person and I love being able to tell people’s stories and build strong, trusting relationships with them.”

Rook recognized his former Alcorn Mass Communications professors Larry Sanders, Curtis Aaron, and Dr. Jerry Domatob for molding him into the journalist that he is today.

“I want to give a special shout out to these guys for being tough, honest and helpful during my time at Alcorn. All of the professors in the Alcorn department of Mass Communications prepared me well enough to continue my pursuit of a career in the journalism field. I learned all of the basics to this news business on “The Reservation” and I will forever appreciate that.”

Rook’s experience has enabled him to give imperative advice to up and coming journalist who plan to make an impact in the field.

“The advice I would give to aspiring journalists would be to get as much hands on experience as possible. Whether it is through internships, working at the school TV and radio station or newspaper. Aspiring journalists should also learn to love research and writing because in this field, you will be researching and writing every day whether it’s print, public relations or broadcast.”

Rook’s future plans include representing his alma mater by becoming a world-renowned journalist. He’s taking the necessary steps that will help him achieve his ultimate goal.

“My future goals include becoming a better journalist each day. Eventually these small steps will allow me to become one of the best-known award-winning journalists in the world one day. I want to be another example of the greatness that comes from Alcorn State University.”

• Brandon Rook_Liveshot.jpg