Shani Collins, Shenika Poindexter selected to participate in the Health Disparities Research Training Program

Two instructors from Alcorn State University will represent the university with their brilliance and forward thinking attitude.

Dr. Shani K. Collins and Dr. Shenika Poindexter have been selected to represent Alcorn as the 2015-2017 junior faculty health disparities training scholars. The two will participate in the Health Disparities Research Training Program for faculty investigators who work at Historically Black Colleges/Universities (HBCU’s) in Mississippi. The program is sponsored by Jackson State University’s Center of Excellence in Minority Health and Health Disparities and the University of Alabama, Birmingham Minority Health and Health Disparities Research Center.

Dr. Poindexter, who is a native of Indianola, Miss., earned her bachelor’s degree in biology in 2007 from Alcorn. Following her studies at Alcorn, Poindexter transitioned into the cancer biology doctorate program at Vanderbilt University in Nashville, Tenn. She successfully defended her dissertation in August of 2014. Poindexter is thrilled about her position that allows her to research ways of combating deadly diseases such as cancer.

“I am honored to have been selected as Alcorn’s junior faculty health disparities training scholar,” said Poindexter. “Because of my previous research and training, I am excited about the opportunity to investigate and advance cancer health equity among minority populations.”

Dr. Collins, a visiting assistant professor in the Department of Social Work and Greenwood, Miss. native, earned a bachelor’s degree in English from Tougaloo College in Jackson, Miss. She continued her education at Clark Atlanta University in Atlanta, Ga., where she earned her master’s degree in Africana women’s studies. She later earned her doctorate in social work from the University of Alabama in Tuscaloosa, Ala. So far, Collins is pleased with her opportunity to pass her knowledge on to her students at Alcorn.

“I love working at Alcorn State University,” said Collins. “Everyone has been very welcoming. I am enjoying my new role. I love my students. We really have a good time learning in class. Health disparities research is very important to me. I want to help reduce health disparities in the Mississippi Delta. I am eager to share my knowledge with my students.”

• Poindexter.jpg
  • Shani Collins.jpg