Alcorn student Chantel Marsaw named Jefferson Award recipient

Natchez, Miss. native and senior at Alcorn State University Chantel Marsaw’s success with her organization, “It Still Takes A Village,” continues to attract recognition for her work in the community.

Marsaw was among 12 people who were awarded the 2015 Jefferson Award for Public Service in Mississippi Thursday, June 4 in Jackson, Miss. The awards are given at both national and local levels. Local winners are ordinary people who do extraordinary things without expectation of recognition. The Jefferson Awards’ mission is to encourage and honor individuals for their achievements and contributions through public and community service.

Marsaw was excited about receiving the award. She humbly thanked one of her professors at Alcorn for encouraging her through the ups and downs.

“It feels great to be a Jefferson Award winner, especially since I found out that the award is considered the Nobel Peace Prize of public service,” said Marsaw. “My instructor and advisor for my organization, Mr. Willie C. Anderson, told me that “It Still Takes a Village” will be a winner. He was right! Mr. Anderson always guides me in the right direction while encouraging me to do right at all times. He stresses to me and the rest of his students to never break the rules of the business world.”

Winning the award has motivated Marsaw to take her organization to new heights.

“Winning this award has motivated me to do more for my community. My plans for my organization are to open a community center in the Natchez area and then expand it as far as possible. It has become very clear to me that this program is much needed in all communities. I currently have between 150-200 students in the program from Adams, Jefferson, Franklin and Wilkinson counties. My list continues to grow, but I am ready for the task.”

For more information on Marsaw’s organization, “It Still Takes a Village,” visit www.itstilltakesavillage.org.

• Chantel Marsaw with Byran Brown and Melony Christopher.jpg