Roderick Howard brings internship skills from WJTV News Channel 12 to Alcorn

Alcorn State University senior Roderick Howard spent his summer vacation sharpening his journalism skills.

Howard, a mass communication major with an emphasis on broadcast journalism, interned at WJTV News Channel 12 in Jackson, Mississippi. While there, he was able to learn a few tips from seasoned reporters.

“I spent a good amount of time shadowing reporters as they went out on their assignments,” said Howard, a Fairview Heights, Illinois native. “Even though my main focus is broadcast reporting, I gained more experience in writing news stories for the producers.”

Howard saw the fast paced nature of a newsroom. He now understands what he will be doing once he enters the professional ranks.

“Working for a television station was an eye opening experience. People who work in the station move really fast to get news stories. Knowing all the components that it takes to run a news station fascinates me. I’m thankful for the experience because reporting is something that I have a passion for.”

Howard credits his development in Alcorn’s mass communications department for his success at his internship.

“I felt that the Mass Communications Department fully prepared me for my internship. Alcorn offers hands-on experience that gave me a good understanding of what a journalism career is all about.”

• Rod Howard resized.jpg