Warren Gatewood proves to be a gatekeeper for Alcorn’s defense

Alcorn State University Braves defensive back Warren Gatewood stepped up big time in their 49-21 thrashing of the Grambling State University Tigers in the Southwestern Athletic Conference Championship game.

Gatewood’s vision of the field was nothing short of spectacular. His ball-hawking abilities led him to three interceptions in the title game, with one on which he returned for a 25-yard touchdown. Gatewood said that his exceptional performance was inspired by his less than stellar performance the last time the two teams met.

“The last time we played Grambling, I started at safety and didn’t have the best game,” said Gatewood. “So it felt good and it was a relief to know that my brothers could count on me for a win. As far as my performance, it felt good to make those plays.”

The performance was one of Gatewood’s best. After losing to Grambling in their last two meetings, stemming back to last season’s 28-21 loss in Shreveport, Louisiana and this season’s heartbreaking 35-34 homecoming loss, Gatewood felt elated about avenging those two losses when it mattered the most.

“That was a great feeling, especially for me because I’m a senior. To go out on top, play at a high level and avenge those previous two losses felt great.”

Now that the Braves have earned their second consecutive SWAC championship, Gatewood and his teammates plan to bring that momentum into the inaugural Celebration Bowl.

“Overall, I think that we have the same feelings as we did about repeating as SWAC champions. We feel that we have to prove ourselves again. All of us are prepared to play at a high level.”

• W. Gatewood resized.jpg