Seven freshmen earn Alcorn’s President’s Excellence Scholarship

Seven students in Alcorn State University’s class of 2020 were awarded for their commitment to earning high educational honors in high school.

The students received the President’s Excellence Scholarship, which is the most lucrative of the University’s new scholarships. The scholarship fully funds tuition, room and board for four years and provides a $500 per semester book allowance. It also provides recipients with a $1,000 stipend each semester. The students earned the scholarship by earning at least a 3.0 grade point average in high school and a score of 28 or above on the ACT.

Vicksburg, Mississippi native and psychology major, Dominique Harris, appreciates the scholarship because it gave her a chance to enroll at the University.

“Earning the President’s Excellence Scholarship was an incredible honor for me,” said Dominique. “I’m grateful that receiving it gave me the opportunity to attend Alcorn.”

Receiving such a high honor is what motivates Huntsville, Alabama native, Kenneth Johnson, to remain a successful student. The pre-medicine/biology and chemistry major understands that keeping his grades up is key to a successful journey at Alcorn.

“I feel that receiving the scholarship forces me to really focus on my classes more than I might have if I wasn’t on scholarship,” said Kenneth. “I know that if I let my grades fall that I won’t be able to continue school; I would hate for that to happen. I will continue to stay focus so that I can get into medical school.”

To be a part of a special group of students means a lot to Detroit, Michigan native and chemistry major, Ryki Vance. She’s relieved to know that her newly acquired scholarship funds will take care of her educational expenses.

“I feel extremely lucky that I was awarded the scholarship, especially after finding out that only seven freshmen got it,” said Ryki. “I feel honored to have been one of the few people who were offered a full ride. Being offered the scholarship took a huge weight off my shoulders and gave me one less thing to worry about.”

Stephen Holt, a Jackson, Mississippi native and biology major, urges high school students to start their scholarship search as soon as possible.

“High school students shouldn’t wait until they are about to graduate to apply for scholarships; apply early,” said Stephen. “There is plenty of free money waiting for you; you just have to take the initiative to search for it. Go to your counselors, the Internet and people that you know who are in organizations.”

For more information on scholarship opportunities, visit the Office of Admissions on the third floor, Suite 307 of the Walter Washington Administration/Classroom Building. They can also be reached by phone at (601) 877-2400 or by email at [email protected].

• Pres. Ex. Scholarhsip resized.jpg