Braves football team met with cheers as they left campus for Houston

The Alcorn State University Braves football team was met with waiving pompoms, “Let’s Go Braves” signs and the chants of #FinishBraveStrong as they departed campus for Houston, Texas Thursday, Dec. 1.

Supporters of the Braves stood at the campus entrance to cheer the team on as they traveled to face the Grambling State University Tigers in the 2016 Southwestern Athletic Conference Championship game at NRG Stadium Saturday, Dec. 3 at 3 p.m. The game, which will be televised on ESPNU, is a rematch of last year’s championship game in which the Braves dominated the Tigers 49-21. With a win, the Braves will match the Tigers as the only team in the SWAC to win three consecutive championships.

Cassandra Lewis, director of accounting who’s known Coach Fred McNair since their days as students at Alcorn, is confident that he can lead the Braves back to the top of the conference.

“I went to school with Fred, so I’ve always thought that he would be a good coach for the team,” said Lewis. “I feel excited for him and the Braves. They have to remember that we are the champions. I believe that they will win their third straight championship and make their way back to the Celebration Bowl.”

Dr. Voletta Williams, chairperson in the Department of Biological Sciences, showed confidence in the Braves being victorious this weekend.

“We’re going to win,” said Williams. “I am a strong supporter of the Braves, and I know that they will bring the championship back here where it belongs.”

James Stokes, a junior, is looking forward to an exciting match between the Braves and the Tigers. He said that reaching the championship game three years in a row is an incredible feat.

“I’m happy that they’re going back to the championship because it’s rare that teams get a chance to compete for three straight titles,” said James. “I can’t wait to see them go head-to-head against Grambling, and I believe that the Braves will pull off the win.”

Braves fans in surrounding areas also showed up to wish the Braves luck. Danny White, an Alcornite who serves as chief of police at the Natchez Police Department, said that the citizens of Natchez are proud supporters of the team.

“We are so proud of the Braves for making it back to the championship this year,” said White. “The people of Natchez, Wilkinson and other counties are looking forward to them competing and winning the title again.”

Continue to support the Braves as they chase SWAC dominance! Get your tickets to the game at www.ticketmaster.com. Not able to travel to Houston? Then tune in to ESPNU at 3 p.m. Saturday, Dec. 3 and cheer on the Braves from our living rooms!

• Sendoff 1 resized.jpg
  • Sendoff 2 resized.jpg
  • Sendoff 3 resized.jpg