DeAnte Spann, Woodrow Price nominated for LifeChanger of the Year Award

Two Alcorn State University alumni who serve as educators are being recognized for their unwavering commitment to shaping the minds of their community’s youth.

DeAnte Spann, who earned a bachelor’s degree in elementary education in 2015, and Woodrow Price, who also earned both bachelor’s and master’s degrees in elementary education in 2007 and 2009, are nominated for National Life Group’s LifeChanger of the Year Award.

LifeChanger of the Year, which is sponsored by National Life Group and the National Life Group Foundation, is an annual program recognizing K-12 educators and school employees across the country. The program celebrates those who are making a significant difference in the lives of students by exemplifying excellence, positive influence and leadership.

In his three years of teaching at the professional level, Spann, a fourth grade English/language arts and social studies teacher at Morton Elementary School (Morton, MS), has managed to capture the hearts and respect of his students and fellow educators. He’s proud to have earned such positive feedback in the early stages of his career.

“This is considered a milestone for me since I earned this nomination so early in my career,” said Spann. “Being a teacher is rewarding, but to be recognized for making a difference in the lives of students and others gives me humility and a sense of achievement. I am forever grateful for for this recognition.”

For Price, a first grade teacher at Sherman Avenue Elementary School in Vicksburg, Mississippi, spreading love through his ability to teach is what keeps him going.

“I am delighted to have been selected for this award,” said Price. “Vicksburg, Mississippi has been my home for ten years. Vicksburg is a growing community where love is evident. Each time an opportunity arises to do a kind deed, I embrace it with love. Working with children is my passion and making a lasting impact on their lives is rewarding.”