Alcornites perform at World Games in Birmingham, Alabama

A faculty member and an alumna from Alcorn State University shared their musicianship recently on the big stage.

Sean Daniels, chairperson for the Department of Fine Arts, and Sybil Scarbrough ’90, senior manager of Customer Service and Governmental Affairs liaison for the City of Birmingham’s Office of Public Information, sang in the opening and closing ceremonies of The World Games 2022 in Birmingham, Alabama this summer. Daniels played with the Alabama Symphony Orchestra, and Scarbrough sang with The World Games Choir.

Sybil Scarbrough

The World Games is an 11-day international multi-sport event organized with the support of the International Olympic Committee. The annual event showcases a new generation of global sports. A total of 3,600 athletes from over 100 countries competed for gold medals in more than 30 of the fastest-growing sports in the world, including racquetball, lacrosse, kickboxing, climbing, and much more.

Performing alongside artists such as Gospel Recording Artist Yolanda Adams and R&B Legend Lionel Ritchie and representing the University with their exceptional musical abilities made this an experience of a lifetime for Daniels and Scarbrough.

“I’m always appreciative of the opportunity to perform for an audience,” said Daniels. “I found the opportunity to be rewarding and humbling. Representing Alcorn at the event was an honor. During rehearsals, I made sure to wear some Alcorn paraphernalia, which resulted in conversations about the University and its location with other orchestra members. It was an awesome feeling.”

“Exhilarating would be an understatement,” said Scarbrough. “To walk out on that stage, under those big lights in front of an orchestra, thousands of athletes from more than 100 countries, and a stadium filled with thousands of people, words can’t explain the experience. I was honored, proud, and filled with gratefulness to represent Alcorn. It was so surreal when we performed. As we waited in the corridor, in our white robes, dressed to go onstage, performing to resounding applause, and then coming off stage, I remember reflecting and thinking, ‘Who would have ever thought that a little girl from Mississippi would be standing here performing in front of the whole world.’”

The two shared their gratitude for the opportunity to shine at such a grand event.

“I have been fortunate to perform and conduct music in many settings, from a few audience members to thousands. There is something great and unique about all of them. What I enjoyed about The World Games 2022 performance was meeting and interacting with the other orchestra musicians worldwide. I feel blessed to have had this experience,” said Daniels.

“My experience was beyond anything I could have ever imagined. We must make the best of every opportunity presented before us. I was able to represent Alcorn on that stage because of the giants whose shoulders I stood upon, such as Mrs. Doris McGowan, Dr. Norma Jones, Dr. Josephine Pose, and Ms. Alberta Stokes. Because of people who invested in my future and poured a wealth of knowledge into me while I was at Alcorn, I am the person I have become today,” said Scarbrough.

Visit https://twg2022.com/ to learn more about The World Games.