Whitney Jackson, Jeremy Martin elected as 2016-2017 Miss Alcorn State University, SGA President

As current Miss Alcorn State University Amber King and Student Government Association President Adrian McLain set their sights on graduation in May, two new leaders wait to officially replace them as leaders of the student body.

Natchez, Mississippi native Whitney Jackson and Bassfield, Mississippi native Jeremy Martin will serve as the 2016-2017 Miss Alcorn State University and Student Government Association President. The two, newly elected leaders are eager to accept their new positions.

“It’s a relieving feeling because I’ve been waiting for this opportunity for a long time,” said Whitney. “The feeling is still new and a bit overwhelming. I have to get used to being called Miss Alcorn.”

“It’s an honor to hold such a position as this one,” said Jeremy. “Coming from where I’m from, I never imagined winning the election for SGA president.”

Whitney’s inspiration to pursue Alcorn’s royal crown started in high school. After being elected to be the face of Natchez High School’s student body, she was determined that she could serve as campus queen on the next level. As for Jeremy, listening to the encouragement of his peers motivated him to go for the SGA presidency.

“When I was in high school, I was elected Miss Natchez High School. I was able to see what leadership qualities you must possess to be a campus queen.”

“One of my closest friends and my peers motivated me to run for the position. I was already thinking about running, but it wasn’t until my friends said that they think I’ll make a great candidate and leader.”

Because of Whitney’s experience with SGA and Jeremy being the president of the Mighty Eta Chapter of Omega Psi Phi, both feel that Alcorn has equipped them for their future leadership roles.

“I’ve served in SGA as a class queen and an executive board member. Being a part of the organization taught me how to deal with different personalities, knowledge of what issues to address and not to address and how to overcome obstacles.”

“Alcorn has molded me into the man my creator wants me to be. Alcorn has allowed me to find out who I am as a man and leader.”

Whitney and Jeremy have bright ideas that they can’t wait to share with the Alcorn community.

“I plan to encourage building character by serving the student body and acknowledging them for outstanding academics, moral conduct and participating in community service in our local communities. I plan to acknowledge all student organizations and student-athletes for their participation in their different functions and sports. We can soar toward progression by starting an alumni picnic so students and alumni can network and form new relationships. My vision as Miss Alcorn is to promote professionalism, excellent academics and moral conduct.”

“My focus is student and teacher retention. With that, I want to bring the administration and student body together so that we can be on one accord so that the University can continue to excel. I also want to encourage more students to attend school here.”

• 2016-2017 Miss ASU and SGA Pres resized.jpg