Alumnus Corey Montgomery honored with endowed chair at University of Arkansas

There are plenty of successful Alcorn State University alumni across the world who are reaping the benefits of their dedication to their fields of scholarship. Tylertown, Mississippi native, Dr. Corey Montgomery, is a part of that group of alumni who continue to shine after studying at the University.

Montgomery, along with his colleague, Dr. Richard W. Nicholas, became the inaugural recipients of the Richard W. Nicholas and Corey O. Montgomery Chair in Orthopaedic Oncology at the University of Arkansas for Medical Sciences (UAMS). Patients, their families, residents and alumni established the chair. It honors both Nicholas and Montgomery, who are the only two orthopaedic oncologists in Arkansas. An endowed chair is the highest academic honor a university can bestow on its faculty. A chair can honor the memory of a loved one or honor a person’s accomplishments. An endowed chair is supported with donations of $1 million or more, with the chair holder using the interest proceeds for research, teaching or service activities.

Montgomery is an orthopedic surgeon who specializes in the treatment of cancers that involve the soft tissues and bones in children and adults at the University of Arkansas for Medical Sciences and the Arkansas Children Hospital in Little Rock, Arkansas.

The naming of the chair has a deeper meaning for Montgomery because he is the first African-American in the school’s history to have a chair named in his honor. He credits a strong support system and spirituality for his achievements.

“I’m extremely honored and excited to be the first,” said Montgomery. “However, I realized my achievements were not made alone. My wonderful wife, Brook, children, parents and siblings contributed to my success. Most importantly, my faith is the cornerstone of all my success.”

Montgomery also thanks Nicholas for being willing to share the milestone with him.

“Also, I’m immensely thankful to Dr. Nicholas for allowing me to share in the naming of the endowed chair. He has worked for many years to raise money for this endowment. I’m in many ways just reaping the benefits of his hard work.”

When asked how does the award motivate him, Montgomery humbly stated that he cares more about how his success will motivate students. He advises students to be persistent in following their dreams.

“I think it’s more about how it motivates others. Hopefully, it’ll motivate students to research their interests to make sure they are on the correct path. Take personal responsibility for your future and do not depend on others to make you successful. Always give your best effort and pray.”

• Corey O. Montgomery.jpg