Clemmisa Goss Presley selected to participate in the Mississippi Department of Education’s inaugural Mississippi Teacher Council

Teachers who were groomed at Alcorn State University are making an impact among their students, fellow faculty members and state officials.

Clemmisa Goss Presley, who earned a bachelor’s degree in elementary education from Alcorn in 2010, was selected by the Mississippi Department of Education to serve on the inaugural Mississippi Teacher Council. The accomplishment makes her the latest teacher who earned an education from Alcorn to be recognized for her dedication to her craft.

The purpose of the Mississippi Teacher Council is to empower teachers to discuss topics that are critical to their success in the classroom. Presley believes that the meetings with other educators will be a huge factor in the betterment of Mississippi’s students.

“Throughout my years of teaching, relevant professional development has been the catalyst for much of my students’ success,” said Presley. “I sincerely believe that this state has some of the most effective teachers who would benefit from sharing ideas and strategies on what works in the classroom.”

The selection is an accomplishment that Presley takes pride in.

“It is truly an honor to be selected as a Mississippi Teacher Council member. I am most appreciative because the Council will provide a platform for me to be one of the advocates the students across the state needs.”

The accolades are great, but Presley is most proud of being the driving force behind her students’ academic success.

“It’s a blessing to be able to have a job that allows me to make a difference. I honestly do not view my career as being about me. I realize all of my accomplishments directly impact the students I teach. My proudest moments are derived from my students being successful.”

Aside from being named to the inaugural Council, Presley was named Oxford Elementary School’s Employee of the Week for the week of Aug. 29. She felt honored to have been chosen for the award by her peers.

“It was an amazing feeling to be chosen as Oxford Elementary School’s Employee of the Week,” said Presley, who is a second grade teacher at the school. “I represent a group of outstanding educators, and I appreciate my peers for recognizing me.”

Being a positive role model and encouraging her students to succeed are some of the keys to Presley’s success in the classroom.

“As a teacher, I have realized that my students cannot be what they do not see. Therefore, it is my responsibility to emulate the characteristics of what it takes for my students to succeed. In addition to teaching academics, I am successful when my students understand that I believe in them and expect their best.”

Presley is on her way to completing an education specialist degree in educational leadership at The University of Mississippi (Ole Miss) in December. She also plans to pursue a doctorate degree in educational leadership.

• Clemmisa Goss Presley resized.jpg