Students enjoy Alcorn’s annual High School Day

Alcorn State University’s annual High School Day was one to remember, as more than 4,000 students from high schools across the state of Mississippi came out to enjoy the festivities.

The day was filled with activities for the students to participate in. During the morning program, students gathered in the Davey L. Whitney HPER Complex where they mingled with students from other schools, listened to the Sounds of Dyn-O-Mite Marching Band’s drum line and watched the Greek stroll-off. Students also visited some of the University’s departments during the information session.

The warm reception that students received from Alcorn students, faculty and staff made a lasting impression on them. Port Gibson, Mississippi native Jayla Walker, a junior from Port Gibson High School who attended High School Day for the first time, said that the people at the University contributed to her wonderful experience.

“This is my first time attending High School Day, and it has been a really nice experience,” said Jayla. “I’ve met a bunch of nice people here. Alcorn is a great school.”

Okolona, Mississippi native Antonio Buchannan, a junior from Okolona High School, was impressed with how great the campus looked.

“I’m excited to be here,” said Antonio. “The campus is big and beautiful and the people are very friendly.”

Makenzie Porter, a seventh grader from Lake Middle School in Scott County, Mississippi, said that she couldn’t wait to start her education at Alcorn.

“It’s really cool and fun,” said Makenzie. “This experience makes me look forward to going to college here in the future.”

The Butler brothers, Unteriun and Simeon, felt at home during their campus visit. Unteriun said they plan to follow in their family’s tradition of attending the University after high school. For Simeon, being in a college setting reminded him of the importance of education.

“Our whole family went to this school, so me and my brother plan to keep the family tradition going in the future,” said Unteriun.

“Being on a college campus motivates me to stay focused and keep my mind on my education so that I can go to college after high school,” said Simeon.

Director of Admissions Katangelia Tenner thanked everyone who helped make High School Day a success.

“I was very pleased with the attendance,” said Tenner. “I would like to thank all of Alcorn alumni, counselors, parents, students and supporters who made this event a success. You are truly appreciated.”

• High School Day 1 resized.jpg
  • High School Day 3 resized.jpg
  • High School Day resized 2.jpg