Department of Mass Communications induct first National Communications Association members

On Tuesday, Dec. 6, the Department of Mass Communications at Alcorn State University inducted its first class into the Lambda Pi Eta Honor Society of the National Communications Association in the Dr. Clinton Bristow Jr. Dining Facility Gold Room. The Alpha Chi Alpha Chapter of Lambda Pi Eta received its charter on Oct. 3.

The new inductees are KeAmber Council, Angelica Brown, Renita Lacy, Monique Mansfield and La’Keilla Veal.

Senior mass communications major Angelica Brown stated, “Above all, I am elated that Alcorn has finally chosen to establish an honor society for the mass communication students. I am equally grateful and honored to be selected as one of the first members to be inducted into the Alpha Chi Alpha Chapter of Lambda Pi Eta and to serve as vice president for the 2016-2017 school term. The purpose of this honor society is to promote outstanding scholastic achievement in the communications field. I am confident that in the years to come, our chapter will grow abundantly and will forever uphold the standards upon which it was founded.”

The goals of Lambda Pi Eta are to recognize, foster and reward outstanding scholastic achievement, stimulate interest in the field of communications and promote and encourage professional development among communications majors.

Senior mass communications major Renita Lacy stated, “It feels great to get an organization here on campus that will recognize and reward students who are excelling within the department, as well as to serve as an incentive for other students to want to do well. I am very excited about the Alpha Chi Alpha chapter being started here and I look forward to what's to come!”

Dr. Eric Dogini, professor and advisor for the Alpha Chi Alpha Chapter stated, “The ceremony was a driving force to motivate other mass communication students to do their best. Tuesday was an occasion for families to see the handwork and achievements of the students. I am exceptionally proud of these students for their academic excellence.”

Professor Larry Sanders stated, “I think it was a tremendous and beneficial addition to the department. I am extremely proud of the new inductees.”

To be eligible for admission, a student must have completed 60 semester credit hours, 12 hours must be in communication studies, have a minimum overall cumulative GPA of 3.0, have a minimum GPA of 3.25 in communication studies, be in good standing with the University and display commitment to the field of communications.

• Mass. Comm. inducties resized.jpg