Catherine Bridges earns doctorate in nursing practice from the University of Miami

Alcorn State University alumna Catherine Bridges is the epitome of hard work and dedication.

The 27-year-old earned a doctorate degree in nursing practice from the University of Miami Thursday, Dec. 15. With this accomplishment, Bridges earned her fourth degree in a five-year span.

Her journey started at Alcorn, where she earned a bachelor’s degree in biology in 2011. Two weeks after graduation, she enrolled in the University of Miami’s Accelerated Bachelor’s of Nursing program, where she earned a second bachelor’s degree in nursing in 2012. She remained at the University of Miami to earn a master’s degree in nursing in 2014.

Growing up, Bridges was exposed to the medical field at a young age. Her father, also an Alcornite, went on to become an urologist. Her mother is a nurse anesthetist, so she’s always realized the possibility of following in her parents’ footsteps.

“They both emphasized the importance of health care to me from a very young age, so becoming a nurse was always a main option for me from day one,” said Bridges.

After searching for her purpose in life as a student at Alcorn, Bridges’ calling was made clear to her during one of the Braves’ football games.

“I remember how I wanted to immediately run over and help this person who passed out at one of Alcorn’s football games. It clicked to me that nursing would be the best option to combine my passion for emergency responsiveness, compassion for others and desire for education. So I finished my degree in biology and began applying to accelerated Bachelor’s of Science nursing programs around the country.”

As she reflects on her journey, Bridges feels proud of what she has accomplished.

“I am very proud of this because the School of Nursing and Health Studies at the University of Miami felt like home, and I owe them everything I know about nursing,” said Bridges. “Their doctorate of nursing program was excellent. I loved everything about the school, and I’m very proud to now be a Miami Hurricane in addition to being an Alcornite.”

• Catherine Bridges resized.jpg