Kendreka Pipes accepts position at the American Lung Association

The American Lung Association in Flowood, Mississippi welcomed an Alcorn State University alumna on board to promote good health.

Kendreka Pipes, who earned a bachelor’s degree in biology from Alcorn in 2014, accepted the Association’s health promotions manager position in December. She is responsible for implementing area program goals and assisting with raising funds through grants and other entities related to health promotion and asthma education.

“I plan to utilize health behavior theories to address the incidence and prevalence of asthma, thus improving asthma management practices,” said Pipes.

It didn’t take long for Pipes to realize that her current position was the ideal occupation for her.

“After a vigorous job search, it feels great to walk into my own office, sit at my desk and work to help people live healthier lifestyles. Throughout the interview process, I felt that this position was designed for me. So, to actually be here is amazing. I love my position and I look forward to growing here.”

Being the Association’s health promotion manager allows Pipes to interact with people in the community, which is an opportunity that she’s excited about.

“I’m really looking forward to working within the community. While I do love the science of what I do, I also love the opportunity to step away from the science and make a genuine connection with people. I love the instant gratification I get from a smiling face or a simple ‘Thank you.’ It keeps me going.”

In the future, Pipes plans to launch a health and wellness blog called “Katieology: the Study of Life, Love, Health and Happiness,” where she will share her personal philosophy on health.

• Kendreka Pipes resized.jpg