Latasha Bailey leads Alcorn’s ROTC program on recruiting tour

Staff members in Alcorn State University’s Army ROTC program is on the recruiting trail in pursuit of the University’s next cadets.

The program began traveling to different high schools in Mississippi in January. Second Lieutenant Latasha Bailey, recruiting operations officer for Alcorn and the National Guard, is leading the charge to find students who will dedicate their time to the program. She enjoys the challenges of finding and molding young cadets into committed soldiers.

“Being a newly commissioned lieutenant, ROTC still has my heart, and to have the opportunity to work with students and help them get where I am is truly a blessing,” said Bailey. “I see myself in every student who works hard daily because I know it takes a lot of hard work and dedication, but the commissioning makes it worth while.”

Bailey said that the program’s goal is to visit a different high school within a 100-mile radius of the University. So far, the program has visited schools in Port Gibson, Fayette, South Delta, Vicksburg and Natchez, Mississippi.

“School visits are a must. As the semester continues, more visits are scheduled. Each time I visit a school, I take volunteer students who want to tell their personal cadet story about the program.”

Becoming a part of a family oriented group is one reason why Bailey thinks students should consider joining Alcorn’s ROTC program.

“Alcorn ROTC has a tight niche. We are family. We work hard. The cadets find time to enjoy college while forming mentor groups for a balanced collegiate life. I am a proud product of Army ROTC, and I have been afforded the opportunity to travel the world, start my first federal job and help students join the program.”

• sm-Upward_Bound_strive_for_success.jpg