Olivia Hardy looks forward to spreading nutritional advice with new position

Alcorn State University’s Extension Program has added one of the University’s talented students to its roster.

Olivia Hardy, a Vicksburg, Mississippi native and vocal performance major, was hired as the Program’s newest expanded food and nutrition educator Thursday, June 15. Her job is to conduct nutrition education programs that will assist limited resource families in improving their nutrition and health in the Vicksburg area.

“These programs will focus on nutrition, food safety handling practices, food shopping skills and active lifestyles,” said Olivia, who expects to graduate in December 2017. “I believe nutrition is very important because we live in an age where countless people are plagued with illnesses or dying because of poor health, and that is unacceptable.”

Alcorn has meant a lot to Olivia and her family over the years, so she relishes in the opportunity to not only earn an education, but to also begin her career at the University.

“It feels great to be a part of the Alcorn team on a professional level. My family has had ties to Alcorn for many years and generations. I am humbled and honored to be a part of such a legacy of greatness and pride.”

Serving her hometown was a key factor in Olivia’s inspiration to pursue the position. She anticipates going out into her community to spread awareness about nutrition.

“Vicksburg is a special place, and that is why I take this position seriously. I think to be effective at this position, one must be enthralled in the community by going out and meeting people, visiting our schools and places of worship. I plan to let everyone know what we have to offer and how these tools can change and save lives. I want to be the go to person when it comes to building a healthier Vicksburg and world through solid knowledge and effective methodology.”

In the future, Olivia plans to pursue a master’s degree while leading the current and next generation into a healthy lifestyle.

• Olivia Martinez resized.jpg