Dr. Geraldine Young presents research on diabetes at the American Association of Nurse Practitioners Conference

Dr. Geraldine Young displayed her proficiency in diabetes to spread awareness about the disease.

Young, an assistant professor in Alcorn State University’s School of Nursing, was selected to present her evidence-based research titled, “Diabetes Exercise Protocol Based on Comorbidities in Primary Care,” at the American Association of Nurse Practitioners Conference Friday, June 23 in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania.

Over the duration of her career, Young has become an expert in combating and controlling diabetes. She is a certified diabetes educator who has worked with the United States Southeast Region Health Disparities Collaborative on Diabetes and the Mississippi Health First Grant provided by the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid to abate diabetes.

“Diabetes is considered an area of expertise for me,” said Young. “Diabetes education and management, as with all of my work, comes straight from the heart. I have a passion for helping others. I love what I do.”

In order to avoid the disease, Young encourages all to maintain a healthy lifestyle by staying active and eating more nutritious foods.

“I would encourage people to eat healthy, well-balanced meals and exercise at least three days a week with no more than two consecutive days without physical activity for at least 150 minutes per week. It’s important to maintain a healthy body mass index between 18.5 and 24.9. Such lifestyle modifications have been proven to prevent diabetes.”

Young’s experience at the conference is one that she feels will help her in the future.

“I had the experience of a lifetime. I was able to disseminate my work and network with my fellow colleagues and experts in the nursing profession. The knowledge and skills that I obtained from this conference is priceless and will have a positive impact on my attitude and practices moving forward in the nursing profession.”

• Dr. Young presentation resized.jpg