Makayla Wiley turns passion for animals into internship opportunity

Makayla Wiley, a sophomore majoring in molecular biology and animal science at Alcorn State University, discovered her love for animals early in her life. During her younger years, she took the initiative to learn more about them in hopes of becoming a veterinarian in the future.

“Throughout my life, I have always had pets and other interactions with animals,” said Makayla, a Kosciusko, Mississippi native. “I discovered my love for animals and started shadowing different veterinarians by participating in various veterinary programs. I realized that I had a passion for veterinary medicine and can make a big impact in my community through my profession.”

The animal lover remains dedicated to her passion by participating in Purdue University’s Veterinary Scholars Program in West Lafayette, Indiana this summer. Being active in the program provides Makayla with an opportunity to learn key components of caring for animals.

“My experience has been truly rewarding. This program has provided an abundance of knowledge and skills that will advance my academic studies. It has offered an experience that I have never been exposed to. Participating in this program has given me a valuable research experience.”

Makayla said that possessing a nurturing spirit is important for veterinarians to have a positive impact on the health of animals.

“When caring for animals, I experience a unique human-animal bond that is indescribable and vital for the veterinary profession. Veterinarians play a crucial role in maximizing the relationship between people and animals.”

Makayla is excited to move a step closer to accomplishing her dream.

“I feel grateful, blessed and excited to be chosen as one of the students for this program. I am eager to represent Alcorn State University.”

• Makayla Wiley resized.jpg