Three Alcorn students named Ronald E. McNair Scholars, conduct research at the University of Mississippi

Some of Alcorn State University’s most gifted students are being recognized for their commitment to hard work and achievement.

Ronnie Davis, Tra’Keyvion Hale, and Khadeeja Milloy were selected as 2021 Ronald E. McNair Scholars. As part of the program, the students showcased their talents by presenting research projects at the University of Mississippi in Oxford, Mississippi.

The Ronald E. McNair Post -Baccalaureate Achievement Program is a federal TRIO program funded at 151 institutions across the United States and Puerto Rico by the U. S. Department of Education. It is designed to prepare undergraduate students for doctoral studies through involvement in research and other scholarly activities. McNair participants are first-generation college students with financial needs or members of a traditionally underrepresented group in graduate education and have demonstrated strong academic potential.

The program provides eye-opening information regarding educational opportunities and career paths. Davis is grateful to the program for paving a pathway for success in both areas.

“The program allows me to enhance my soft skills such as communication and writing,” said Davis, a junior computer science major from Collins, Mississippi. “The program has also helped me to understand the various aspects of applying to graduate school. I now know what to expect in the research and academic part of my professional career path.”

Alcorn equipped the students with the tools to thrive as research scholars. Hale appreciates Alcorn and the Department of English for ensuring a path to success through advanced teaching and quality assistance.

“Alcorn has contributed to my success by giving me the knowledge and skills that made being a McNair Scholar a more seamless experience,” said Hale, a senior English major from Pike County, Mississippi. “The Department of English makes sure its students are prepared with courses such as Research Writing with Dr. Heather Bailey and Literary Theory & Criticism with Dr. Murray Shugars. The skills that I’ve learned in those classes were the same skills I used to conduct my research.”

Achieving excellence is the driving force behind these students’ motivation. Milloy takes pride in becoming a McNair Scholar because it showcases her drive to succeed.

“Being selected means a lot to me,” said Milloy, senior applied science major from Prentiss, Mississippi. “It’s a testament to my hard work and dedication to pursuing excellence. I understand what is needed to achieve academic excellence and achieve personal goals.”